• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by DutchRailnut

Before we start speculating on cause of derailment or type of equipment, maybe we should consider a few things other than equipment.
Station area = switches
Engineer= running new toy
Track could be defect
etc etc etc etc
  by Amtrak67 of America

DutchRailnut wrote:Before we start speculating on cause of derailment or type of equipment, maybe we should consider a few things other than equipment.
Station area = switches
Engineer= running new toy
Track could be defect
etc etc etc etc
Dutch has spoken. Lets all Bow down. Even during an investagation, the investagtors speculate many causes so enough already. Since the Multis dont have a great track record at NJT, what makes you think it will be any better in Canada? I know of a NJT union guy who is the Liason with the FRA who has been involved in meetings. The FRA is fed up with the derailments with the multi's and not only is NJT considering banning them in Hoboken, but Amtrak is apparently planning on banning them as well. Hell, they cant even divert at places like Rare or Essay(or is it SA, I forget).
  by morris&essex4ever

Amtrak67 of America wrote: The FRA is fed up with the derailments with the multi's and not only is NJT considering banning them in Hoboken, but Amtrak is apparently planning on banning them as well. Hell, they cant even divert at places like Rare or Essay(or is it SA, I forget).
If they're banned in Hoboken and on Amtrak rails, then what will they do with the soon to be 429 ML's?
  by sixty-six

morris&essex4ever wrote:
Amtrak67 of America wrote: The FRA is fed up with the derailments with the multi's and not only is NJT considering banning them in Hoboken, but Amtrak is apparently planning on banning them as well. Hell, they cant even divert at places like Rare or Essay(or is it SA, I forget).
If they're banned in Hoboken and on Amtrak rails, then what will they do with the soon to be 429 ML's?
The ML's arent banned anywhere, there's restrictions on certain tracks they can't be on but that's it. The restriction at Summit was recently cancelled. Besides, every piece of equipment has restrictions in one way or another.
  by ApproachMedium

i havent heard of any issues or restrictions with the cars at Essay. I have been on and ran the cars thru them crossovers which are only 10mph as it is. Any train going thru there is a tight squeeze.
  by sixty-six

ApproachMedium wrote:i havent heard of any issues or restrictions with the cars at Essay. I have been on and ran the cars thru them crossovers which are only 10mph as it is. Any train going thru there is a tight squeeze.
Last I checked, they were restricted from diverging moves at Essay. No idea if that's been cancelled yet or not. That's a bad crossover anyway, and the 10mph restriction proves it.
  by Amtrak67 of America

A restriction is the same as a ban no matter which way you slice it. Regardless if a crossover has a 10mph speed limit or 45, if a certain piece of equipment can't manuever thru it, I would say that its the equipments fault. How many other pieces of equipment can divert thru Essay with no issues ? The multis Are the same length as the comets and arrows so it sounds like a weight or tracking issue to me ? Regardless to what you want to believe, my info about the possible ban comes from one of your union guys that is an FRA liason. I'd believe what he has to say anyday.
Last edited by Amtrak67 of America on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by ApproachMedium

Was not aware of the restriction, thanks.
  by OportRailfan

Test trains headed to Bayhead
  by Sirsonic

There are issues with the MLs that are being investigated, and some plans for possible mitigation are being explored. The actual problems, and likely causes, are similar to the issues experienced not long ago by another passenger railroad. Im not going to go further into detail in a public forum.
  by ApproachMedium

FWIW the LIRR had their issues with Bombardier and their trucks on the M7s. Bomb blames it on the track, LIRR says its the trucks. They are still experimenting with different shock absorbers to this day to try and figure out what works for them.

We could probably have a whole nother' thread on the multis and their truck issues, since we have so gracefully steered away from the ALP45 here.
  by Amtrak67 of America

ApproachMedium wrote:FWIW the LIRR had their issues with Bombardier and their trucks on the M7s. Bomb blames it on the track, LIRR says its the trucks. They are still experimenting with different shock absorbers to this day to try and figure out what works for them.

We could probably have a whole nother' thread on the multis and their truck issues, since we have so gracefully steered away from the ALP45 here.
Yes ever so gracefully....Hahahaha
  by Tommy Meehan

While the cause of the accident is under investigation, AMT spokesperson Martine Rouette has already indicated to the media that the cause of the derailment may be the "rolling stock."
I copied this from another message board, sorry I don't have a link. Apparently they're leaning to the belief it was the lead truck of the head car that derailed first.
  by CleanCab_108

OportRailfan wrote:Test trains headed to Bayhead
Heard them say a few hours ago that the "Test Train" was performing practice station stops in area of Bradley Beach on the NJCL Radio Frequency.
  by Jtgshu

CleanCab_108 wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:Test trains headed to Bayhead
Heard them say a few hours ago that the "Test Train" was performing practice station stops in area of Bradley Beach on the NJCL Radio Frequency.
From what I heard on the radio, they made "simulated station stops" (opening and closing the doors, usually on the side of the train opposite the platform) from Woodbridge to Bay Head and back to Woodbridge and changed modes in Long Branch in either direction