• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by railmason357

Rumor that the 45 may take a trip on the Tier
  by Sid Farkus

beanbag wrote:Im serious though, I really cant remember posting that one.
Cross your heart and hope to die?
  by 25Hz

railmason357 wrote:Rumor that the 45 may take a trip on the Tier
Which line is this?
  by Jtgshu

25Hz wrote:
railmason357 wrote:Rumor that the 45 may take a trip on the Tier
Which line is this?

"the Tier" - aka Southern Tier - aka Port Jervis Line
  by ChrisU

Jtgshu wrote:the test trains have been running pretty much daily, and the regular routine seems to be to run diesel from the MMC down to the Coast Line, change to electric at either Woodbridge or Perth Amboy (depending on how close ahead they are to a local behind them) and then running to Long Branch under electric power. In Long Branch they either go back to diesel and head west to Bay Head or just change ends under electric power and go back east.

Of course, not every night/day they are on the coast line, but they are down there a lot. Today there was one that was running during the day down on the Coast Line.
When did it run because I was out between 12:30pm and 3pm at Little Silver.
  by morris&essex4ever

NJTArrow2 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:the test trains have been running pretty much daily, and the regular routine seems to be to run diesel from the MMC down to the Coast Line, change to electric at either Woodbridge or Perth Amboy (depending on how close ahead they are to a local behind them) and then running to Long Branch under electric power. In Long Branch they either go back to diesel and head west to Bay Head or just change ends under electric power and go back east.

Of course, not every night/day they are on the coast line, but they are down there a lot. Today there was one that was running during the day down on the Coast Line.
Isn't there no schedule for test trains?
  by waldwickrailfan

morris&essex4ever wrote:
NJTArrow2 wrote:

Isn't there no schedule for test trains?
its possible for daily trains, after xxxxx time and place and train #'s. however i'm not saying this is true and im probobly wrong. this is just a thought.
  by Jtgshu

There really isn't a schedule - the sign up times vary as well as other things at the MMC. The train might have to be put together, or inspected or fueled or any number of factors. So even if it was the same time every day, the chances of them hitting the same place at the same time every day down teh line are slim to none....

Anyway, isn't being trackside and being surprised at what you catch part of the thrill of railfanning? Or am I just old school?
  by morris&essex4ever

Jtgshu wrote:There really isn't a schedule - the sign up times vary as well as other things at the MMC. The train might have to be put together, or inspected or fueled or any number of factors. So even if it was the same time every day, the chances of them hitting the same place at the same time every day down teh line are slim to none....
Thanks, just making sure.
Jtgshu wrote:Anyway, isn't being trackside and being surprised at what you catch part of the thrill of railfanning? Or am I just old school?
Oh, no question about it being a thrill!!
  by ACeInTheHole

Jtgshu wrote:There really isn't a schedule - the sign up times vary as well as other things at the MMC. The train might have to be put together, or inspected or fueled or any number of factors. So even if it was the same time every day, the chances of them hitting the same place at the same time every day down teh line are slim to none....

Anyway, isn't being trackside and being surprised at what you catch part of the thrill of railfanning? Or am I just old school?
i personally think it could go either way, from my personal standpoint, I prefer to try and catch the equipment once it enters revenue service, so I have a good idea of where to look to make the catch. A test train is alot harder to get, you could be there for hours and the train wont pass you, or you could accidentally be in a good spot at a good time (4642s acceptance testing train passed me at Broad right when I went up the platform stairs.. wasnt looking for it.. just happened to be in a good spot at a good time) In my opinion, I would rather save the few hours of my life that I wont get back if I miss the test train, and use them for more productive things, such as finals studies in my case at the moment.
  by nomis

one word ... scanner ...
  by Jtgshu

nomis wrote:one word ... scanner ...
There's even an "app for that" so you don't even need to have a scanner anymore hahaha and its free!
  by CNJGeep

Jtgshu wrote:There's even an "app for that" so you don't even need to have a scanner anymore hahaha
That also depends, however. The Android Scanner app runs off a scanner based in (I believe) Bound Brook, so you won't usually get the M&E or Main Line. In fact, it won't even get Townl(e?)y!
  by ACeInTheHole

nomis wrote:one word ... scanner ...
nomis.. Id love one, trust me.. I know the benefits... but I am still under parental rule over here, theyd wonder what the hell I just blew that kind of cash on.. ahaha, and JT whats it called? hahah