Railroad Forums 

• Yellow signs by tracks

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#499104  by SURGEAHOLIC

When I go to San Diego on the Coaster I see vertical rectangular yellow signs that say 2 numbers, one on top of the other. anyoneknow what those are?
Last edited by SURGEAHOLIC on Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

#499111  by slchub

Similar to this:

That is the speed board. The top number tells you what speed passenger trains may travel and the bottom number is for freight. On the Coaster and for the most part, not all, in the western US you'll find the boards 2500' before the reduction needs to be made.

On the old DRGW (Helper, Utah to Grand Junction, Colorado for example) you'll still find the old white rectangular boards 2 miles before the restriction.
Last edited by slchub on Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#499112  by RearOfSignal

Approach Speed Limit Signs, top number for passenger trains, bottom for freight trains.

#499117  by SURGEAHOLIC

approach speed limit? when do the trains have to be at that speed?

#499183  by CSX Conductor

Usually approach speed limit signs are about two miles before the actual speed restriction. The beginning of the speed restriciton is generally marked with a "Temporary" or "Permanent Speed Limit Sign", usually just a black "S" on a yellow background. :wink:

#499189  by LCJ

In former SP territory, the permanent speed limit area starts 1/2 mile after the sign (the yellow ones that look like an arrow pointing down). There is no marker at the start of reduced speed, other than the back side of the green, upward arrow that is telling the opposing direction traffic where they can resume the normal speed.

#499191  by CSX Conductor

Thanks LCJ, sounds like CSXT's Operating Rules, the beginning of the restriction sign is green on the other side to mark end of restriction going the other way. This way they save $$ on having to make less signs.

The speed signs I was describing would be on NORAC Rules. :wink:

#499669  by Robert Paniagua

I see a single "45" or "60" or "35" along many MBTA commuter Right of ways, including the nec, I never see another sign below it for freight, so I assume it's mostly passenger trains that use these lines especially the Old Colony routes

#499671  by LCJ

If I'm not mistaken, those are all under NORAC rules. They would be temporary speed signs. Chances are the speed is the same for both freight and passenger. Can't say for sure, though. Anyone?

#499893  by CSX Conductor

There is a Temporary Speed Restriction on track #3 for passenger trains to not exceed 60mph, and the highest Maximum Authorized freight speed is 50mph on Amtrak's NEC.

Highest Maximum Authorized Speed for freight on MBCR Property is 40MPH on Franklin & Middleboro Lines.

Yes, NORAC Rules are used on Amtrak properties as well as MBCR property. :wink:

#500680  by CSX Conductor

Robert Paniagua wrote:Ok, thaks for the clarification CSXT C/R,
Not a problem. :-)
Robert Paniagua wrote:And yes, NORAC rules do apply to all MBCR/Amtrak Railway lines.
Umm, I know, that's what I said. Besides, I'm qualified on al of the South Side territory that CSXT runs on. :wink:

#500807  by scharnhorst

You'll see signs llike that in Canada still.