Railroad Forums 

• Yard space

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #118948  by freightguy

Yard capacity is probably the second biggest problem behind the engines of course. The company is currently cancelling storage agreements with a few bigger costmers. This in hopes to clear up some space. What happens is cosignees use Fresh Pond as a rolling warehouse and store cars around the yard for weeks or even months. Now they will charged on the cars just like any other railroad. Railroads pay a rate that is called demmurage on other railroads cars which is usually hourly. This doesn't apply to all cars, but most.

CP Rail is definetely not adding to the capacity crunch. Last night they had 2 SD40-2's and 2 empty flatcars for old LIRR M/1's. That is 6000 hp! The RS-81 was more impressive with 57 cars and two engines(270, 155) from Pineaire to Fresh Pond. It was able to keep up to speed also!

#119005  by tushykushy

Last night you guys had a lot of cars.

270 and 155..... the combinded power equals.... a SW1001... right?

#119023  by DogBert

Don't speak too soon. Cp took out a LOT of lirr hoppers the last week or 2 if i recall right. not sure if any have come back yet but when they do... In general their trains seem a bit longer than a year ago.

I bet some of those customers will just pay the storage fee. is there any room in bay ridge for storage cars?

Where could new track be laid? maspeth? along the ridge? longer siding running north on csx? The bush? (ha!)

#119081  by LIRRNOVA55

What about bay ridge yard? she was just completly redone. .floats and all. . .why not use there ?

#119149  by Legio X

57 cars of what? What kinds of cars made up this train?

#119320  by Jayjay1213

25 loads +32 empties. The loads were from Coastal and Gershow, and the emties were all boxcars from various customers.

Jason

#119446  by BMT

I keep hearing rumors that NY Transit might vacate Linden Yards at some point IF they outsource their track fabrication work.

As many of you know Linden Yards used to be an LIRR freight classification yard. Obviously, it would make a nice-sized location for laying up frieght.

#119839  by dukeoq

Just don't store any beer cars there.
I have personally seen what happens to beer cars stored in the yard that preceeded Linden Yard. :(

#120892  by Sir Ray

If we're talking about spending money to rebuild yards anyway, what about completely rebuilding the yards along 56th/Rust St (looks like only a 1/3 of the former yard(s) space along Rust St is being used -lotsa weeds and trees there that could be acting as car storage instead)

#120916  by Legio X

And there's Blissville Yard, too. Was'nt the NYA supposed to get that also?

#121024  by DogBert

they traded whatever money for rebuildng blissville to go towards lower switch upkeep charges per year.

rust st./ maspeth yard - a small bit of that space is used for transloading, so not having some of the track there has probably helped get that business, but it seems like there's enough room to do more there - maybe build a real (small) loading dock and lay some track.

#136433  by Legio X

The Maspeth Yard was empty today when I passed by around 0820. A single EEC boxcar was it for rolling stock, west of the Maspeth Ave. Nothing else to be seen. So, has there been a downturn in traffic? I've never seen this yard empty. Always cuts of boxcars and reefers west of Maspeth Ave., and flatcars east of there.

#137142  by mainline

You probably just missed them. They go to LIC over the Montauk Secondary first. After LIC they switch Maspeth on the way back to F.P.