Railroad Forums 

• WW&F Railway Museum Track Building Weekend upcoming

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#57149  by jcpatten

Next weekend, October 8 - 11, the WW&F Railway Museum in Alna, Maine will be having their Autumn track laying weekend. The goal this weekend is to build a run-around track at the northern end of the line, at Alna Center Station. This is your invitation to attend.

It's a lot of fun and great way to learn how to build a railroad. We like to do things like they did them back in the old days - by hand. Spiking, moving rail and ties, putting down ballast are all done manually. The only concession we've made to modern-day methods are air-powered tampers that are used to shove stone under jacked track.

We have a quantity of good rail thanks to the Aberdeen & Rockfish RR of NC, and the CT Antique Machinery Association of CT.

Pray for good weather and I hope many of you come. Tell your friends and neighbors too.

#57208  by Steam

Will #10 be powering the work train? That made the experience the last time we participated in this event 2 years ago.

It was like stepping into the old photos of the building of the railroad.

Nothing like it!

#57257  by jcpatten

I don't believe #10 will be powering work trains, instead it will likely be pulling the regular passenger train.

I don't know for certain how much ballasting we'll be doing. This is the tail end of the regular season, so ballast trains have to fight for track space with the passenger trains. Typically we do most of our ballasting in April.