Railroad Forums 

• WSRR -What still remains

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1601872  by SST

It’s gotta be close to 20 or so since I wrote about this particular piece of rail. Tried to search for the “old rail” thread but wasn’t successful.

At that time it was in deep brush and the sun in a poor position so I could not get the time stamp info. Now, they’ve got cleared it well and the sun was good. This location is where an RV community crosses over the WS into the golf course just east of the Peanut/WS Jct.

To my surprise, two ties still in the ground. Location looks “authentic “ as it lines up with the Peanut jct I “discovered “earlier this year.

I guess the pic is too large and won’t post. Oh well.
 #1602000  by Old & Weary

The NYWS&W was built through Western New York in 1883 and opened to Buffalo on 1/1/84. The 1883 mill mark on the rail would mark it as an authentic West Shore rail. Can someone identify the mill from the initials.
 #1602005  by BR&P

Old & Weary wrote:The NYWS&B was built through Western New York in 1883 and opened to Buffalo on 1/1/84. The 1883 mill mark on the rail would mark it as an authentic West Shore rail. Can someone identify the mill from the initials.
Fixed :wink:
 #1602010  by hojack

I think I may have an answer.

Albany & Rensellear Steel Co, which you may find reference to . They rolled rails in Troy. This I believe later became the Burden Iron works. Burden had at one time the largest water wheel in the wortld, ( over 40 ft. high and generating several hundred horsepower ) to power the blower engine and the rolling mill. Much of the ore was mined in Mineville and Crown Point and concentrated in Port Henry before being shipped by lake and canal to Troy.

Very early American rolled iron rail as much in that era previously came from Scotland and England by ship.

I have a piece of similar A & R rail I found on the RW & O, north of Watertown. About the same era and weight, but have to check.

Dave Link
 #1603492  by Fireman43

Which leads me to go back to look again at those rails pulled up down here on the B and H ROW just off Main Street in Hammondsport to ck again for a date
 #1603604  by SST

Fireman43 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:05 pm Did you wire brush and oil that rail??? :-D
Looks almost brand new
Its in a lot better condition now than it was along time ago when I first saw it.