Railroad Forums 

• Wreck in New Brighton, Pa

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

#309512  by TheChessieCatLives

NTSB is looking at the possibility of a broken rail that caused the mishap. Accident occurred on the Norfolk Southern Monongah Division, ex - Big Four Division I believe, between Altoona and Fort Wayne, Indiana.

This is the service alert from www.nscorp.com
Service Alert
Update: Derailment at New Brighton, PA
October 22, 2006

A derailment late Friday evening near New Brighton, Pennsylvania, has disrupted operations on two important routes between Conway, Pennsylvania, and Ft. Wayne, Indiana, and between Conway, Pennsylvania, and Youngstown, Ohio. Conditions at the site of the derailment continue to preclude access for repair to the two mainlines and bridge damaged by the derailment.

However, based on assessment of conditions, we expect that the line between Conway and Youngstown will reopen later today (Sunday) and one of two mainlines between Conway and Ft. Wayne will reopen Monday.

Norfolk Southern is rerouting most of the traffic normally moving over these routes via alternate routes on Norfolk Southern and other carriers. Shipments normally moving over these reroutes will likely encounter delays of 24 to 72 hours. Customers with questions on specific shipments are encouraged to contact the National Customer Service Center at (800) 635-5768.

Note to customers with committed service agreements: Norfolk Southern invoked Force Majeure effective 12:01 a.m., October 21, 2006, on all traffic moving through this area.
[/quote]

#310240  by OCtrainguy

I was in the Altoona area when this happened. We heard about it Saturday afternoon from a fellow railfan while we were in Lilly. My son, who is 7 1/2, saw it on the front page of the Sunday papers. He kept asking me what type of engines were involved in the derailment, as the newspaper only indicated the number of engines.