Railroad Forums 

• World's Best Rail Graffiti

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#334040  by UPRR engineer

Ahh.... the Ghostbusters hopper was way better.

#334171  by U-Haul

It is not a wise idea to promote this form of "art".
Union Pacifc 609 is freshly repainted and already "ruined"
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=165954
"I feel like doing a throw-up or two and a few pieces that might get posted where many will see them."

#334337  by Engineer James

#609 was just sitting too long. How to taggers get into railyards without RR police gettin em'?

#334402  by mp15ac

Engineer James wrote:#609 was just sitting too long. How to taggers get into railyards without RR police gettin em'?
They don't have a camera to attract the RR police. :-D

Stuart

#334583  by dhaugh

Buddy of mine witnessed a bust of a spraypainter on UP in Twin Cities. Police surprised him with dogs & guns drawn as they didn't know what he was doing (apparently reported to have "something shiny" in his hand. Scared him so bad he wet his pants & he got arrested on top of it all. Bet he doesn't tag another car.

#334732  by Lirr168

UPRR engineer wrote:Ahh.... the Ghostbusters hopper was way better.
Ghostbusters hopper? Sounds interesting, but I have never heard of it. Could you maybe say more about it and/or link to a picture? Thanks!

-Kyle

#335675  by UPRR engineer

Havent saw it for a few years it might not exist anymore. I've looked online and havent had any luck.

It had the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man from "Ghostbusters" standing behind some skyscrapers off to the right with three Ghostbusters shooting at him in the center and Slimer off to the left. Covered the whole side of the covered hopper.

#335747  by Engineer James

Sounds interesting..... would have loved to see it.

#335762  by Lirr168

UPRR engineer wrote:Havent saw it for a few years it might not exist anymore. I've looked online and havent had any luck.

It had the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man from "Ghostbusters" standing behind some skyscrapers off to the right with three Ghostbusters shooting at him in the center and Slimer off to the left. Covered the whole side of the covered hopper.
Sounds very good for something done on a piece of rolling stock! Thanks for looking into it, I did not have any luck online either.

#340089  by Otto Vondrak

Yeah, this stuff is great... too bad these people can't put their art onto canvases. Instead, they have to destroy and vandalize other people's property. How do you feel about that, James? Would you like this "art" on the side of your house? or maybe I can scratch my initials into your car's hood? I mean, it's ART. ;-)

-otto-

#340110  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Otto Vondrak wrote:Yeah, this stuff is great... too bad these people can't put their art onto canvases. Instead, they have to destroy and vandalize other people's property. How do you feel about that, James? Would you like this "art" on the side of your house? or maybe I can scratch my initials into your car's hood? I mean, it's ART. ;-)

-otto-
Some of the stuff is really good. The vandalizing artists could make big bucks if they turned pro.

"maybe I can scratch my initials into your car's hood" Good name for a country tune. :wink:

#341890  by Engineer James

Glad to be back on! Well, otto, I would love to, you want my address??? *LOL*
 #344185  by Komachi

ExEMDLOCOTester quipped...

"'maybe I can scratch my initials into your car's hood' Good name for a country tune. :wink:"

Well, Carrie Underwood has a hit out on the country charts right now called, "Before He Cheats" in which she describes venting her anger upon her significant other's "pretty, little, souped-up four-wheel-drive" by keying the paint, carving her name in the leather seats, taking a Louisville Slugger to the headlights and slashing all four tires. So, you might be onto something with that. :wink:

(**Notices disapproving glower from Otto**)

But getting back to the topic at hand...

I'll echo some of the above comments about how grafiti artists could really make some serious cash if they did "legit" work. And all moral and societal implications aside, you have to agree that some of those "works" are quite impressive and do, indeed, qualify as art.

Otto snubbed...

"Yeah, this stuff is great... too bad these people can't put their art onto canvases. Instead, they have to destroy and vandalize other people's property. How do you feel about that, James? Would you like this "art" on the side of your house? or maybe I can scratch my initials into your car's hood? I mean, it's ART. ;-)"

What is art? Seriously, Otto, define the term "art."

You can't.

Art, like many things in life, is subjective. What one person considers a work of art, others... would rather use unsavory language to describe said "piece." Yes, most grafiti (railroad grafiti included) is illegal - although, there are some grafiti artists who have been commissioned to paint murals on buildings and whatnot - and the above examples are very much an act of vandalism (which, actually is defined in the various civil codes accross the United States and around the world), but it's still art. Abandoned buildings, highway overpasses, junked cars, railroad equipment... that IS the "canvas" of the grafiti artist and cans of Krylon (or whatever brand they happen to prefer) happens to be their medium of choice. (I could go into the psychology of a tagger/grafiti artist, their motives for producing said "artwork," etc., but they're not totally germane to the topic at hand, nor are discussions of the "broken windows" or "labeling" theories, or other mumbo-jumbo I learned as a Criminal Justice major.)

Believe me, I've seen some stuff that passes for "art" these days (the joys of taking Art classes in college to fill elective credits), and I would be more quick to consider something like the Ghostbusters hopper "art" than that. (But that's my subjective oppinon. :wink: )