Railroad Forums 

• Working in Tennessee

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#217078  by foggy83

I start conductor class in Atlanta next Monday, and had a few last moment questions for you guys, particularly if you work out of Nashville.

When I come back to Nashville after training, how often can I expect to be called to work? (are new conductors working every day in Nashville...)

And I understand that they'll call me to work the Monday after I get back from Atlanta... What is the first thing new conductors do when they report to the yard?

Can I request to be on a certain division, such as the Bruceton-Nashville division?

I know this stuff is covered in other posts, I was just wondering if anyone from my home base had anything special to add. If so, I apprecitate it.

#217139  by Aji-tater

The first thing you ALWAYS do when you report to the yard is sign the time slip, employee register, or whatever they use these days at that place. I learned that, I think, before I learned the name of the guy who broke me in. The logic was that no matter what they might change in your assignment, or anything, you were officially "there" and entitled to be paid. And also it established that you were on duty, so if you somehow got hurt one minute after walking in the door, you were on duty at the time it happened.

Depending on what setup they use in a given place, sometimes signing the sheet acknowledged you had copies of and understood all bulletins, orders and so on. Don't leave yourself open on that. But in general get yourself present and accounted for as soon as possible.

Obviously that isn't the exact advise you were looking for, on your first day, but keep it in mind anyway.