Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#266496  by DCmetrogreen

Why does MTA re-route so many trains and routes on the weekends? Is it for maitenence or just because they want to mess with the poor touists? Appreciate your help, thanks!

#266511  by arrow

It's so that they can perform whatever maintenance is scheduled and they don't have to change things during rush hours when ridership is highest.
 #267529  by Head-end View

Oh brother! I got caught up in that lunacy yesterday (Sunday 7/9). I was enroute to my annual Staten Island Ferry ride and I took LIRR to Woodside. Thinking I would take the "subway scenic route" I then got the #7 to GCT, thinking I would take the Lex Exp to Bowling Green. Wrong! Only local service was running on the Lex and only to Brooklyn Bridge! Then I had to walk thru the corridors to that ratty old BMT Station there (Chambers St) and there was some hassle with the J train too; I couldn't understand the announcements. They had a shuttle train running south from there and I took it to Broad St. and walked to the ferry terminal. Confusion was rampant in all the stations. There were orange vested employees giving directions but it was still a mad scene. City dwellers and tourists alike totally confused...........And the ride took forever for what is normally 10 or 15 minutes. :(

So after I took a good round trip on the S.I. Ferry I figured I'd take the trusty old #1 train from the ferry terminal and change at Chambers St. for the 2-3 Exp to Penn Station. Wrong again ! Service suspended from South Ferry to Chambers. Take a special shuttle bus to Chambers. Well heck, I can walk faster so I took a healthy walk up Broadway to the Park Place Sta. opp. City Hall. Thought I'd catch the 2-3 there. Right except there was no express service from Chambers St. to Penn Sta. We ran local from Chambers to 34th St. Again a normally 10 minute ride took forever. If I'd known, I would have taken the A-train from Fulton St. to 34th. Or was that line screwed up too? :(

Never again will I do this on friggin' weekend without checking MTA's website first!! Maybe I should take all future subway trips on weekdays when service is relatively normal. What a friggin' fiasco! :( :(

#267583  by Fred G

Ouch, but yeah, check the site so you can plan accordingly. In fact, sign up for email notification so there's a reminder in your inbox.