Railroad Forums 

• Why not a railfan platform/ internet camera in Ayer, Ma.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1591636  by neman3

Railfan platforms with viewing areas, benches, shelters, internet cameras, scanners that broadcast train communications via local speakers are a popular and growing trend across the country. Look at Folkston, Georgia and Fostoria Ohio. Between the Town of Ayer and MBTA ,Pan Am, wouldn't something like this be an economic benefit to the local economy? Railfans would use local business while they are in the area . There is enough freight/ commuter train activity at this location to generate interest . It would be very beneficial to local business.
 #1591660  by NHV 669

Try getting ahold of the Boston & Maine live folks on YT. They've got quite a few spread out across New England on CP and CSX, as well as other non-railroad locations.
 #1591699  by neman3

gprimr1 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:36 pm Maybe no one has brought up the idea to the town or there isn't a group to run it?

Where would you suggest placing it?
Seems to be an area south of the MBTA station at the wye. Some of it is used by MOW storage but a lot of empty space.
 #1592099  by Plate C

Wishful thinking that makes sense for people wanting to see trains. Realistically a camera is not bringing people to Ayer, they're going to sit on their behind at home and watch on yt. Still, with a number of cams already up along the lines maybe it will motivate someone to get another up elsewhere along the way.
 #1592345  by umtrr-author

There is a railfan platform as you describe near me in Fairport, New York on the CSX former New York Central "Water Level Route."

The cycle time from initial idea to execution is probably best measured in years. There is a scanner there which broadcasts except at night, and a webcam in each direction recently installed by "Virtual Railfan" (recently is relative because I am not good with dates). There is a full size signal mast there now. But there are no, ahem, "facilities." The platform also sees non-railfan use from time to time.

The overall impact is probably mixed.

Some railfans don't like it because their previous gathering spot, on private property, was closed off and gated shut. (There is still a way to sneak in.) They won't come to the platform because they don't like sharing it with families and other visitors, you know, "commoners." So they've moved on to one of several undisclosed locations away from town. And I mean "undisclosed" as in they would not tell me where, just "up the track." I guess I don't know the secret handshake.

On the other hand, there is some incremental interest from those families and other more casual observers who don't know the symbol of the train that just went by, and don't care much either-- but perhaps they might become more typical railfans, which I think should be encouraged. (We were all new to this once... ahem.) Fairport already has an established 'downtown' just a short walk away; and there are businesses on the same block and across the street. And it's also just off a bike route as well, and the Erie Canal is within sight.

Is it bringing in a lot more revenue for the local restaurants and shops? Hard to say, but I doubt it. It is giving local people another reason to visit or stay a little longer. But I don't see it ever having the impact of, say, Folkston or Rochelle, that is, people traveling from far and wide to come to Fairport.