Railroad Forums 

• Who reconnects air hoses?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#832642  by Mac

I know this is probably a pretty simple question but I was wondering on a freight train, whose job is it to reconnect air hoses when they disconnect sending the train into emergency stop, the engineer or the conductor. I assume it is the conductor but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Mac
 #832652  by DutchRailnut

conductor or trainman.
The engineer is not required to leave engine, ecsept for lunch ;-)
 #832653  by gp80mac

DutchRailnut wrote:conductor or trainman.
The engineer is not required to leave engine, ecsept for lunch ;-)
That's a good thing. Don't want them to mess up anything....

:-)
 #832658  by Mac

I suppose the same goes for broken knuckles? Also has any conductors ever had someone try to mug them while they are doing this? The reason I ask is because I am considering pursuing a job in the railroad but walking a train at night doesn't exactly fit my definition of "fun."
 #832665  by DutchRailnut

trying to mug a conductor is like trying to mug a homeles guy for coffee money.
 #833043  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

I almost got mugged walking a train looking for a burst hose. I looked up at one point and saw a big buck deer standing there snorting at me! it was a very cold 3 AM and the steam coming out of his nose is something I'll never forget .
 #833569  by scooterz66

Mac wrote:I suppose the same goes for broken knuckles? Also has any conductors ever had someone try to mug them while they are doing this? The reason I ask is because I am considering pursuing a job in the railroad but walking a train at night doesn't exactly fit my definition of "fun."
I'll let you know when I come across someone who likes walking their train. Especially in the dark.
 #833583  by DutchRailnut

at or near $30 an hour you make it fun, it beats flippin burgers.
 #833636  by Gadfly

DutchRailnut wrote:at or near $30 an hour you make it fun, it beats flippin burgers.
I was thinkin' the same thing! People have this romantic notion of trains, steam choo choos, and a wonderful, "easy" life making bunches of money. But they don't want to do, or accept, the actual work that comes with it! They want 9-5 w/ Saturday and Sunday off! The money IS good: I'm afraid that those childish notions of the railroad are false! To make that money you will walk the trains, you will replace knuckles, you will work in the rain and the snow. It goes on 24/7! YOU will BE there when they call!

(We had a saying: "It NEVER rains on the railroad!") Many is the time I trudged thru some lonely, dangerous yard in freezing rain at 2 AM as a yard clerk. It was a job, and it HAD to be done, OR you quit or get FIRED!

I've seen it plenty of times. The foamin' joes "foam" all over their shoes to fullfil this so-called life-long dream, then reality hits when they actually get out there!! :-D It ain't what they thought it was! " When the going gets tough, the tough get going"! THESE are the REAL railroaders! :-D :-D

GF
 #834005  by SooLineRob

DutchRailnut wrote: The engineer is not required to leave engine, ecsept for lunch ;-)
Must be nice to be represented by ACRE, Dutch!

Any chance they'd want to drop A-cards on freight guys?!?!?!?
 #834393  by Jtgshu

Gadfly wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:at or near $30 an hour you make it fun, it beats flippin burgers.
I was thinkin' the same thing! People have this romantic notion of trains, steam choo choos, and a wonderful, "easy" life making bunches of money. But they don't want to do, or accept, the actual work that comes with it! They want 9-5 w/ Saturday and Sunday off! The money IS good: I'm afraid that those childish notions of the railroad are false! To make that money you will walk the trains, you will replace knuckles, you will work in the rain and the snow. It goes on 24/7! YOU will BE there when they call!

(We had a saying: "It NEVER rains on the railroad!") Many is the time I trudged thru some lonely, dangerous yard in freezing rain at 2 AM as a yard clerk. It was a job, and it HAD to be done, OR you quit or get FIRED!

I've seen it plenty of times. The foamin' joes "foam" all over their shoes to fullfil this so-called life-long dream, then reality hits when they actually get out there!! :-D It ain't what they thought it was! " When the going gets tough, the tough get going"! THESE are the REAL railroaders! :-D :-D

GF
Some of those blizzards and ice storms and rain storms turn out to be the most memorable times of a career though!!!!

I remember walking through passenger cars with crowbars trying to get frozen doors open at station stops, pulling seat backs from coaches to lay down on them to reach down and break ice from the door, or stopping before a fallen tree in a Nor'Easter and seeing if it could be "pursuaded" to be moved off the rail in one manner or another......

Some times you just gotta do what you gotta do, and the crappy weather conditions and whatever mother nature throws at you is at least a change from the monotony of "normalness"........
 #922223  by Georgia Railroader

Gadfly wrote:

GF
Well said.
 #922380  by litz

Hehe .... I've crowbared doors, too.

Don't get much ice/snow in GA, but the BRSR operates clear through to New Years Eve, and a lot of those December trips are darned cold!

That 50-80 year old equipment doesn't like cold ...

- litz
 #922393  by slchub

Some of the best times I had was walking my train at 3 AM. Nice and quite, fresh air, etc.

The best morning was having to line our train out of Carter, WY. The ground had a fresh layer of snow and it was a full moon. No need for the lantern as I walked to the head-end after I lined behind. It was practically daylight.

While "incidents" do occur out here, I've only heard of one from the number of RR's I know in the Salt Lake City, Ogden and Las Vegas terminals.
 #923777  by BigLou80

Gadfly wrote:

GF
This mentality is hardly unique to rail roading I see it all the time in light construction. People watch a few shows on DIY buy a few tools on the HD credit card and think they are in business for them selves, until they realize its hard ( both mentally and physically) work.

Who am I to complain It keeps a steady stream of lightly used tools on craigslist