Railroad Forums 

• Who owns these engines? Buffalo waterfront

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1390695  by nydepot

https://goo.gl/maps/DrmTxwsRPcE2

The top one is an EMD SW-1 (the best I can tell). Scroll down to just south of the long building and you'll see an orange Whitcomb 65-ton centercab.

In the various years of Google and Bing imagery available, they swap places at times.

I think the Whitcomb is a former Bethlehem Steel engine.

Any idea why they are there? Thanks.

Charles
 #1390777  by BR&P

Is it just a digital function of zooming in so close, or does the EMD really have some sort of funky-fied extension or awning on the engineer's side of the cab?
 #1390781  by nessman

The property was Bethlehem Steel. There are some smaller industrial customers there now.

The yellow switchers (I've spotted two of them) are likely South Buffalo Railway engines - which is now owned by G&W and services that area. They roster a good number of EMD switchers (the Alco S2's are long gone).

The Whitcomb is/was a Bethlehem Steel engine - likely still soldiering on for whoever owns the property now. http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel134.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1390819  by AgentSkelly

Eons ago, I went to an auction at Beth Steel of some assets with my uncle that was trying to get a truck; there was two switchers up for auction; one was the Whitcomb and then a orange ex-Buffalo Southern one as I recall.
 #1390834  by BR&P

AgentSkelly wrote:.... and then a orange ex-Buffalo Southern one as I recall.
Possibly South Buffalo, instead of Buffalo Southern? Two different railroads, despite the similar names.
 #1390978  by AgentSkelly

BR&P wrote:
AgentSkelly wrote:.... and then a orange ex-Buffalo Southern one as I recall.
Possibly South Buffalo, instead of Buffalo Southern? Two different railroads, despite the similar names.
You know, I was going to correct it, but now I think about it...I think it was Buffalo Southern for some reason...I'll need to consult my photos...
 #1391137  by Windseeker1

lvrr325 wrote:Is the Whitcomb parked in front of some kind of ramp or loader that appears to be made from about 2/3rds of a 34' 2-bay hopper?
I work for the wind energy company with turbines there and cross the tracks near that when I travel to that project. I think it is a wedge snow plow. Sorry for the poor quality...taken with a cell phone on full zoom.

#1391271  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:or perhaps it's a snow plow? In any case it looks to be a bigger hopper car than I thought from the Birds Eye view.
Sometimes it can be helpful to read previous posts before making your own:
Windseeker1 wrote:. I think it is a wedge snow plow.
 #1391330  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:Nothing gets past some guys.
Well, on the bright side, you correctly figured out what the thing was, without benefit of the previous post apparently. So we'll give you extra credit for that! Image
 #1391471  by BR&P

So according to the OP, that Whitcomb still sees at least occasional use, or maybe just gets moved around. Amazing! Any idea how many others such units still move? I believe WK&S tourist line in PA has one that runs. Any others?