Railroad Forums 

• Who gets coal east of Rochester NY?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1591344  by Lincoln78

Ironic that to counter environmental protestors PAR needs to run extra trains (and burn extra diesel). I don't object to creating work for American jobs.

New England isn't producing a whole lot of extra power and the US is shutting coal plants down. Can't find how many China builds for every one we close but I did find this. I wish Bow took more coal trains.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/859 ... y-country/

(Regret will want to give you cookies).
 #1591408  by taracer

newpylong wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:17 pm Nope, it's neither actually. Not only have the moves been hush hush but they're being broken down at the request of Pan Am to avoid any track blockages by protesters, political issues, etc.
Local management was talking about spliting up the grain trains like this so I think you're wrong. Its more cost cutting PSR bs.
 #1591412  by taracer

Lincoln78 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:28 pm Ironic that to counter environmental protestors PAR needs to run extra trains (and burn extra diesel). I don't object to creating work for American jobs.

New England isn't producing a whole lot of extra power and the US is shutting coal plants down. Can't find how many China builds for every one we close but I did find this. I wish Bow took more coal trains.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/859 ... y-country/

(Regret will want to give you cookies).
This whole post is a crazy political rant with no basis in any kind of fact.

They are not creating jobs by tacking 20 cars on train that already runs 7 days a week, they are cutting them. I've got 20 years, so a near old head, and I can tell you that this train would have ran as its own train over the B&A. The cab signal equipped add on engine would have been ready in the fuel plant when we showed up for duty. That's a crew that doesn't get to work now that the train is being broken up on the 426.

There is no crew shortage on the B&A, there is an engine shortage due to PSR. This mindset effects every train and customer, including the grain train.
 #1591427  by newpylong

Whatever trainmaster (from another railroad) is feeding you tidbits is not privy to what is happening in Billerica. What I posted was not opinion.

The customer and the terminating railroad are not interested in another Hooksett 2.0. That is why they are running in the dead of night (another 20 cars just departed NC) and that is why they are in small slugs. If the plant wanted 88 cars that is what CSXT would deliver it to Pan Am and that is what Pan Am would bring to them.