Railroad Forums 

• Whitefield, NH Ball Signal Restortion?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1404089  by b&m 1566

RRFAN wrote:I just drove by the ball signal and it looks really nice so far! Bright white with pine tree green trim makes it look a lot better then the red did. I wonder if they will paint the singal post white.
Is this a more historical look than the goldish and maroon trim?
 #1404125  by RRFAN

b&m 1566 wrote:
RRFAN wrote:I just drove by the ball signal and it looks really nice so far! Bright white with pine tree green trim makes it look a lot better then the red did. I wonder if they will paint the singal post white.
Is this a more historical look than the goldish and maroon trim?
They started to paint over the white with grey and I think this stands out more then the last colors it had on it. Looks like they have new cable on the singal and I think both balls are fully painted now (not on the singal post yet).

There is now an excavator from wendell rexford and sons down next to the ball singal. I have no idea if its part of the restortion, mabye to make the surrounding area look nice.
 #1404151  by TomNelligan

RRFAN wrote:Is this a more historical look than the goldish and maroon trim?
Someone undoubtedly can provide a more complete history of the Whitefield signal than me, but back in the 1970s it was just weathered wood, like a telephone pole. Photos from the 1950s show a somewhat different white wood structure. I suspect that both the frame and the balls have been replaced more than once over the years.
 #1405302  by RRFAN

Heres a couple of photos I took with my phone. I took these before they put the whistle post back up and before they put high balls up.
Attachments:
20161011_162047.jpg
20161011_162047.jpg (230.69 KiB) Viewed 5401 times
20161011_162024.jpg
20161011_162024.jpg (252.76 KiB) Viewed 5401 times
 #1405380  by b&m 1566

Nice! I know it won't happen anytime soon if ever, but it certainly would be cool if the Conway Scenic could make a run to the dimond for a photo special.
 #1406742  by b&m 1566

When NHV was the operating railroad for both lines, we're they require to operate the ball signal before crossing?
 #1406962  by ExCon90

b&m 1566 wrote:When NHV was the operating railroad for both lines, we're they require to operate the ball signal before crossing?
Normally that would be the case, since the same degree of protection would be needed regardless of whose trains were involved.
 #1407280  by craven

I've never seen a Ball Signal before.

Could someone explain how it is activated and what positions the balls are in, mean to the adjacent track?
 #1407284  by Mikejf

It is operated by hand. I don't remember which setting was for what, one ball up was one railroad, two balls up was the other etc., but all trains had to stop, sign the log, and set the ball for their train. Some ball signals were single, with just one ball, and if the ball was all the way up, that is a highball, which of course means no need to stop.
In the case of Whitefield, two lines crossed so this protected the diamond.
 #1407306  by Otto Vondrak

I assume the ball signal is out of service, not listed in the timetable, and just preserved for historical purposes, right?

Photos by Mike Foley/Yonkers Rails:

http://yonkersrails.zenfolio.com/mainec ... #h2493089c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://yonkersrails.zenfolio.com/mainec ... c#h7c1d122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto
 #1407308  by TomNelligan

Mikejf wrote:I don't remember which setting was for what, one ball up was one railroad, two balls up was the other etc., but all trains had to stop, sign the log, and set the ball for their train.
Right. All trains had to stop 500 feet short of the diamond, and then it was raise one ball to clear it for the B&M and two balls to clear it for the MEC.