Railroad Forums 

• White tank cars at LIC team yard

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #878948  by Teutobergerwald

Speaking of the L.I.C. team yard, according to the GoogleEarth view from this past June, that relic boxcar that was spotted at the end of one of the spurs is apparently gone. When did the NYA (or LIRR) remove it? What had it been used for? Also, the same view showed a cut of black tankcars on the northern-most spur in the yard. Same customer and cargo as the white ones referred to in the subject title? Thanks.
 #879044  by rb

I think the black tanks are edible oils. Looks like pretty brisk business, too. There always seem to be at least 6 tanks on that track.
 #879282  by Sir Ray

Teutobergerwald wrote:that relic boxcar that was spotted at the end of one of the spurs is apparently gone. When did the NYA (or LIRR) remove it? What had it been used for?
Don't know when they removed it, but that boxcar had to have been there for 2 decades - I'm pretty sure I used to see it when I was commuting to college (via the 7 train) during the late '80s.
I thought the story was that boxcar had derailed (or was shoved past the end of the siding), got tangled up in the end of the siding block or bumper, and they just left it there. No idea if they bothered to use it for anything except a really big track bumper.
I know some info on it was posted on this site, but my search terms are turning up nada, so I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader. :P
 #880010  by CJQ

White tanks are ethylene glycol cars for a company that deices the aircraft at JFK and La Guardia , Velvetop products