Railroad Forums 

• Where to find old maps in the system

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#701518  by TNT314159

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
rhodiecub2 wrote:Wouldn't the current system map be considered "old" especially since the SL3 line on the Silver Line is now closed.
No. You could say the system map has been "incorrect" ever since the silver-painted bus was even added to the rapid-transit map.
:P
Oh you mean route 49 on washington street? Yeah that definitely needs to be removed from the rapid transit map ;)
 #703554  by mattl

Saw an old map at Copley last night... just the one line for the Red Line, which puts it somewhere in the early 70s. Going to try and get down there tomorrow and take some photos.
 #707512  by mattl

Arborway wrote:
rhodiecub2 wrote:Wouldn't the current system map be considered "old" especially since the SL3 line on the Silver Line is now closed.
Yeah, but keep in mind there are still maps showing SL4 to Andrew which never existed in the first place. The maps also have to accommodate the renaming of New England Medical Center and the opening of Silver Line Direct Connect: Operation Drive Around The Corner.
Let me know where I can find one of these SL4 maps..

So far I've found this

And some crude hand-drawn affair on the old old MBTA website.
 #707586  by Arborway

mattl wrote:
Arborway wrote:
Yeah, but keep in mind there are still maps showing SL4 to Andrew which never existed in the first place. The maps also have to accommodate the renaming of New England Medical Center and the opening of Silver Line Direct Connect: Operation Drive Around The Corner.
Let me know where I can find one of these SL4 maps..
Go to the fare lobby at South Station, you should be able to find them on both sides of the gates. There aren't any stations listed, just a stub. Now the T has to erase both SL4 and SL3.

And just as a side note: When did the T decide to forgo SL4?
 #707646  by RailBus63

Arborway wrote:And just as a side note: When did the T decide to forgo SL4?
I've never seen an MBTA document which stated that the SL4 was being cancelled - I believe it was postponed and never resumed due to lack of interest.

For whatever reason, South Boston had no interest in the Silver Line and fought both the SL4 branch and the attempts to give the SL3 a better routing through Southie that might actually generate ridership. They should have merged the SL3 with the route 7 bus and promoted the free transfer to the Red Line.
 #707667  by rhodiecub2

mattl wrote:Saw an old map at Copley last night... just the one line for the Red Line, which puts it somewhere in the early 70s. Going to try and get down there tomorrow and take some photos.
I saw that map that you're refering to. It's on the inbound side of the station. This is the 1967 map, from what I saw that map looks like it's in pretty good condition too. However, that part of the station is blocked off, so I'm not sure you'll be able to get to it.
 #709369  by Fred Rabin

This thread started out with a discussion of a "1967" map at Orient Heights. I rode the Blue Line out there earlier today. There are 3 such maps, but they're not from 1967 since they don't show the Green A line. Probably 1970 or so.

I noticed a commuter rail station called "Mount Hope" between Forest Hills and Hyde Park. There is a pedestrian overpass between these two stations. Was this Mount Hope?
 #709654  by madcrow

Fred Rabin wrote:This thread started out with a discussion of a "1967" map at Orient Heights. I rode the Blue Line out there earlier today. There are 3 such maps, but they're not from 1967 since they don't show the Green A line. Probably 1970 or so.

I noticed a commuter rail station called "Mount Hope" between Forest Hills and Hyde Park. There is a pedestrian overpass between these two stations. Was this Mount Hope?
Nope. The pedestrian overpass is the remains of the Tollgate Bridge. It's been out of service since at least the time the Amtrak caternary went live and quite possibly much longer.

Mount Hope was somewhat farther south, where Hyde Park Ave and Mount Hope Ave meet.
 #710962  by jamesinclair

Replacing maps are expensive.

Id hope that the next round of changes comes along when the green line extension gets under construction. They can use the opportunity to add the "extended" silver line connection service, and remove SL3.

Until then, I assume the SL connection downtown will get the sticker treatment.

I also think that the green line surface station maps, showing "service temporarily suspended" on the E will remain forever. Thats right, forever.
 #710969  by F-line to Dudley via Park

jamesinclair wrote:Replacing maps are expensive.

Id hope that the next round of changes comes along when the green line extension gets under construction. They can use the opportunity to add the "extended" silver line connection service, and remove SL3.

Until then, I assume the SL connection downtown will get the sticker treatment.

I also think that the green line surface station maps, showing "service temporarily suspended" on the E will remain forever. Thats right, forever.
A lot of the new ones are paper behind plastic casing, or plastic backed by adhesive, or peel-off rubber stickered...so a lot easier to replace than the old paint-on riveted maps that are never, ever going to be retired unless a whole station gets made over. So I can understand why a lot of the Red Line still has the Arborway connection on the spider maps and the 1988 CR maps still extant, and I understand why GC, Hynes, and Park still have the E as "temporarily suspended." Some of the other much more replaceable ones, though, they'd be pushing their luck if they didn't update every 5 years for things like the GL extensions or removing the phantom SL branches.
 #817895  by rhodiecub2

Auditorium was renamed to Hynes Convention Ctr in 1990 and the JFK U Mass addition to the Braintree line was added in late 1988. So were there system maps that came out 1987 which had the Southwest Corridor on there but did not have the Hynes Convention Ctr name change and the JFK U/Mass addition to Braintree?
 #818007  by F-line to Dudley via Park

They replaced the circa-1984 CR metal maps at Porter with new paper ones behind display casing. Finally Cambridge commuters know of the existence of the Old Colony lines, service north of Ipswich, and this strange faraway land called Worcester that I think is in Connecticut or something.
 #818048  by BostonUrbEx

Why do some [commuter rail specific] maps show the Wildcat branch and others don't? The pattern seems to be none on the really old ones, appears, then disapears on the next to latest map, then comes back again on the kind that is currently at Back Bay (which I assume are the newest). Sorry if that's a little hard to understand. :P

Has service up the Wildcat been inconsistent?