Railroad Forums 

• Where are the midwesterners?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#4002  by MikeF

Wood Dale, Ill., here, MP 19.4 on Metra's Milwaukee District West Line.

#4103  by zwsplac

I'm from Manhattan, Kansas. Home of Kansas State University, where I'm a student, and located at MP 120 on UP's Salina Sub.

#6332  by Tony T.

Genoa, IL checking in. 200' off the old Milw main westward. Currently the territory of those funny looking blue and yellow DM&E units now-a-days.

On the other side of town, IC used to put on a real good show, stringing together a half dozen or so rebuilt geeps, now THAT was trainwatching!

#6412  by railohio

Milford is no longer a problem. I spent many days there this past summer without any problems. HK Tower (St. Joe) is still to be avoided. The local residents will call the DeKalb Co. Sherriff. Butler is an alternative as long as you avoid the diamond.

#13580  by M630

Representing Minneapolis and the Univ. of MN where we've got our own S4 and railroad club.

#13585  by Hoosierailnut

Dekalb CO Indiana here.
My g/f said she knows the people (the ones that call the Dekalb Co sherriff) that live right by the diamonds at St Joe. So she might get me out there to take some pics (on their property NOT RR)! I guess its good to know the rigght people i guess!! :P :D

#16795  by route_rock

Quad Cities! Illinois side home of the funny looking DM&E units and IAIS Rock Island yard.Oh yeah plus the railroad that is going to dump the railraod from railroad days(care to guess?)

#19007  by kelvint56

Des Moines, IA. Junction of UP's Spine Line and the Iowa Interstate RR

#19096  by chessie8212

The first Ohioan checking in on this thread here. And I would have to disagree with the Hoosier who claimed that Indiana has the best of today's railroading... it's definately Ohio! :wink: :D

From Fremont, OH more specifically. It's a medium sized town in NW Ohio that was at one time home of the LS&MS, NYC, PC, NKP, and NW. Now home to NS and WLE. I attend school in Toledo, just about 35 miles from Fremont, and that place has a rail history of it's own. So much up there.

#20170  by ak-milw

Camp Douglas, Wisconsin checking in!! Right on the old Milwaukee Road mainline, Tomah sub, . We still get one or two Milwaukee "bandit" units going through, They are great to see! CP owns it all now :(

#20468  by ak-milw

Komachi, In my area there are two for sure, maybe three. I'll have to get the numbers for you, I don't have them here right now!!

#25826  by Joe

Downers Grove, Illinois, checking in! The BNSF Aurora line goes right through the center of town and is just down the street. Lots of Metras and some Amtraks; and a lot BNSF trains with foreign power...

#27869  by fnwjohn

OK, I'll bite. Sioux City, Iowa, and in the strange-but-true category, part owner of a new shortline in NE. The area was covered by others, but we also have Ellis & Eastern, Dakota Southern, Minnesota Southern, Iowa Interstate, Brandon, Council Bluffs Rwy all in easy distance. Plus my line.....
 #27895  by Komachi

Cool! Welcome to the forum. Hope to hear more about your about your little "pet project" in the future. Any chance you could fill us in on a little more info. on your road; mileage, equipment rostered, cities/towns served, etc.? Just currious.