Railroad Forums 

• When to spot at Rigby Yard

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1223390  by CN9634

pfnd wrote:Total newbie question, I'm sure. But that's fitting since I'm a newbie and this is my first post. I searched the forum for this information and didn't find it. I apologize if it's been gone over.

If I'm going to Rigby yard, is there a way I can figure out a good time to go and actually see a decent amount of train activity? Is there a schedule or anything? I'm looking to take someone over on a Saturday or a Sunday but I don't want to not see anything.

Also, aside from the small spot on route 1 overlooking the yard, can you also go down into Rigby Storage's parking area? That looks like it would be a good vantage point but also not on RR property.

Thanks for any tips on spotting there!
Welcome to the Forum!

Unfortunately, due to some Trespassing Violations by certain 'railfans', the parking lot is off limits to non-employees. That isn't to say people do not go there anymore, but it is at your own risk. In all honesty, the places outside of the yard are your best spots for trains. Pretty much, keep a scanner handy and be prepared to move between Winnock's Neck, Veteran's bridge and Read Street.

Pretty much here is a break down.

Morning you will see some inbound freights. POED and SJPO or WAPO.
At around noon to 1 you will see EDPO head west.
Anywhere from 3 to 6 you will see PORU leave.
Anywhere from 5 to 7 you will see SEPO arrive
RUPO, POSE, POWA and recently reused AYWA and WAAY will probably be night time moves. RUPO might arrive late evening around 8 or 9. POSE is on duty around 11 and won't leave Portland until 2AM. Not sure about POWA but there is more traffic between Portland and Waterville due to MMA detour traffic and increased NBSR traffic.

Good luck.
 #1223559  by CN9634

Increased traffic from MMA detours and NBSR/EMRY/MNR had some issues with WAPO/POWA and SJPO/POSJ. Pretty much there would or could be two sets of each on District 1 at any given time. Apparently there was some confusion using the same symbol for different trains (imagine that) so they changed up the symbols to help with that.

WAAY and AYWA handle more online and local traffic than the POSJ/SJPO/SEPO/POSE combo. However, they are also running WASJ/SJWA east of Waterville, not POSJ and SJPO so that may suggest that they are splitting traffic at Waterville between the two Portland/Ayer bound jobs.
 #1223606  by fogg1703

CN9634 wrote:WAAY and AYWA handle more online and local traffic than the POSJ/SJPO/SEPO/POSE combo. However, they are also running WASJ/SJWA east of Waterville, not POSJ and SJPO so that may suggest that they are splitting traffic at Waterville between the two Portland/Ayer bound jobs.
Thanks CN9634 for the info. It was what I suspected. Was wondering if this also was able to free up some space at Rigby and utilize a less than full Waterville to stage trains on D1 and allow a more fluid Rigby to make up the westbound through trains?

Also how many switchers work Rigby and Waterville?
 #1223637  by CN9634

Portland was up to PO-7 as of late with talk of a PO-8 and maybe a 9 (or PO-X).
Also keep in mind they were also running DO-1 and occasionally PH-1

Danville was up to DJ-2 but I believe that was changed to a DJ-X which pretty much assumes the symbol of the train they are relieving.

Waterville I think was up to WA-4 at one point but mostly WA-1 WA-2 are the consistent jobs. Lots of relief crews out of there and I don't know the crew symbols off the top of my head. There are 4 SAPPI jobs as well.

Northern Maine has OT-1 which comes down from Old Town to switch. Since the office moved from NMJ to Old Town, most things are based out of here now.
 #1223698  by markhb

CN9634 wrote:Pretty much here is a break down.

Good luck.
Great post! Just to clarify, though, did you reverse the POED and EDPO symbols there?
 #1223781  by fogg1703

So if WAAY is bringing westbound traffic as well as local work to Ayer, is there any sort of preblocking for CSX or PAS along the way or do they rely on an Ayer job to switch the cars and tack them onto POED and SEPO.
 #1223788  by CN9634

markhb wrote:

Good luck.
Great post! Just to clarify, though, did you reverse the POED and EDPO symbols there?
markhb wrote:

Good luck.
Yes! Evidentially I need to cut back on my drinking :-D (Kidding of course, I'm not cutting back)
 #1223789  by CN9634

fogg1703 wrote:So if WAAY is bringing westbound traffic as well as local work to Ayer, is there any sort of preblocking for CSX or PAS along the way or do they rely on an Ayer job to switch the cars and tack them onto POED and SEPO.
Cars are preblocked in Saint John, NB for CSX. Other stuff will be on there too and may be reswitched at Waterville or Rigby but its not a comprehensive process, maybe a setoff here or a pickup there. Transit times are quite good from NBSR to CSX.