Railroad Forums 

• Whats left of the EJ&E?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1068035  by train2

The EJ&E was one of those railroads on my to do list that never got done. What is the current state of affairs on the EJE today? If I were to go there today would it look like the CN or is enough of the J still around to see?

If the J still has enough happening to warrant a visit, what would be a good strategy to see the current operations? Keep in mind a lot of Chicago has powerlines along railroad rights of way, this not something I find attractive, so IF the J has any please advise were to avoid?

Any operations info, radio freqs, days off for certain jobs would be appreciated?

I also never hear anyone talk about the switching road that got spun off? What is up with these folks today?

Train2
 #1068558  by doepack

There are still a few SD38's in EJ&E colors that are based on local runs out of either Markham or Glenn yard. Not sure of any kind of schedule, but I would guess the viewing platform at Homewood would be a good place to start looking for remaining power still in "J" colors...
 #1071913  by Thunder

Joliet has EJ&E 673 and 662 running. 673 was the south end power and 662 I think was on the 528. Most of the junk power Cn owns is here. I f you do catch J power you will notice that the CN has spray painted the trucks black on a few. Only ONE J engine is in CN colors and thats 668. Shes regular in Kirk and never ventures too far away as it is set up for slow speed hump controls.

Jobs that work regular. L 528 north out of Joliet to Walker and as far as Temple ( just north of Eola) works daily but on its off days is filled by pool crews so the start time changes.
L529 Joliet to Phoenix, cant see much of it as it is on private property. IMHO the best little operation on the old J. That hill it goes down has a huge pucker factor!
L520 night line train to KYD
L521 the line train from KYD to Joliet. Runs KYD to joliet after midnight. Daylight crew takes it to Spaulding and returns as L520. Always has CN power but a good train to be on. Plus if your at Spaulding you get CP and Metra action.
L510 the Waulegan job. It had a J 38 on it. Runs daily cept saturday sunday to Waukegan ( if there is work there) and returns. North Chicago you have the Naval base to take pics near at least.Waukegan yard has a trasnload but nothing else. very sad to see.
L509 starts in the morning about 7 and heads down the IRL to E Morris. Lots of places to catch them along there.
J stuff out of Kirk? No idea anymore as I stay away from that black hole of foolishness.514 is a daily train that rates J power on occasion comes out to Chicago Heights and back.You cant get close enough to Kirk to get pictures there though.
Your best bet? Joliet. Hang out on the bridge above the yard and get some pics there and from maple street.Flickr has a J group and a Joliet railfan page. Check them out and join. One guy I see there regular on the bridge.

Like posted elsewhere J stuff all over Markham. Its too bad those throttle jockeys dont understand what a SD 38 is designed to do. They hate them cause they dont " go fast enough"They dont load quick blah blah blah. Plus The shop has been taking the magnets off that hold the doors open. Why? cause they hold the doors open. SMH at the management.

Have a fun time shooting the J! Get it quick befor ehte tightwads decide to paint everything ;)