Railroad Forums 

• What would you say is the easiest craft to break intothe RR?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1256961  by matawanaberdeen

What craft would you experienced railroaders say is the easiest to break into the RR? I was thinking trackman, or on a passenger railroad, railcar cleaner? Would you say all railroads in general hire more trackman per year, and have more turnover in that position than others? Thanks for the help, its kinda just a curious question with intent.
 #1257009  by trvr815

It depends on you and your work experiences. What would be good for them. Example, they wouldn't necessarily hire a white collar worker for a track worker. However, if you applied to that same job as a heavy equipment operator that would be a better fit for the RR.

As far as which craft has the strongest turn over? I am not sure. As a general rule there is not much turn over at the class 1s.
 #1257390  by mdr406

There is no easy way to get into anything, anywhere. Like any job, it is about what you have to offer, and if it's relevant to the position you are trying to obtain. If you think you have what it takes, just apply and try to sell yourself. A lot of jobs, including some railroads do not require nothing more than a clean record and high school diploma/GED. Many provide formal and on the job training. I would recommend you checking out some official railroad websites such as CSX, Amtrak, NS, BSNF, etc. Scroll through their job postings, and check out what they want, and their qualifications.
 #1257977  by matawanaberdeen

Thanks guys. I just applied to a Carman position for CSX, and passed the online tests, but I have no welding experience. I am just about the safest person I know of, but I think the lack of welding experience will preclude me from getting near this position. What do you think? Thanks again for all the replies.