Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1052462  by NeoArashi

I just checked something for my possible trip with my GF to Ontario. I found something rather odd.

A Montreal-Ottawa trip costs 42$ (not including taxes on supersaver fare)
A montreal Brockville costs 39$ (same as above)

What I found odd is that a Montreal-Brockville VIA Otawa costs 39$. Couldn't I just take a Montreal-Brockville via Ottawa, leave the train at ottawa and save almost 4$ (Including taxes)?
 #1052743  by Ken V

It is sort of strange that longer trip is cheaper using Supersaver fares than the shorter one along the same route but it does seem to be the case here. However, with the new Escape fares, only available between major stations, Montreal-Ottawa is cheaper still. When I looked just now, Montreal-Ottawa Escape fare is only $33. This lowest fare is not available on all days or all trains however.

To answer the other question. If you have a ticket from Montreal to Brockville there is nothing to stop you from getting off in Ottawa but you may have trouble getting on in Ottawa with a Brockville-Montreal ticket.
 #1052764  by NeoArashi

Well, I could take a Montreal-Brockville via Ottawa train and then a Ottawa-Montreal for the return trip and still save 4$. However, you are right about Escape fare. though if you leave really early, or really late, the ticket costs as low as 29$
 #1083185  by Montrealrail

The shortest trip for the highest fare..
VIA 601,from Montreal to Pointe-aux-Trembles,the fare is 20,00$ and taxes,make 22,50$
but the thing is..we ca take the Montreal city bus and suway,to do the same destination for 3$
the distance is 45 km or around 22 miles..
and the cheapest fare for a long distance is Montreal-Quebec,for 20$,22,50 taxes included,with the last minute discount,distance is 272 km or around 190 miles
 #1083559  by labaienordique

How about this:

Sudbury to Azilda. 22,50$ for a mere 11 km...

or this...

Sudbury Jct to Capréol. 22,50$ for a modest 22 km...
 #1084089  by marquisofmississauga

After one of my trips on the Canadian when we stopped at the following conditional stops, I decided to look up the fares. I have checked them again today. From Malachi, Ontario, to Copelands Landing (4 km) the economy (coach) fare is the usual minimum fare of $20 plus $2.60 HST. But a cabin for 1 (roomette) cost only $1. plus tax. (No, this is not in addition to the coach fare; that is the complete fare.) A cabin for 2 is $2 and a cabin for 3 (drawing room) is $40. Between Malachi and Ottermere, also 4 km, it is the same $20 for coach. But a cabin for 1 is $4, a cabin for 2 is $30 and the cabin for 3 is $40. A passenger booking a $1 sleeping car ticket for such a short trip could prevent a roomette from being sold Toronto to Vancouver. There was a time when VIA would not sell sleeper space for short trips. Many years ago I tried to book a roomette for a 300+ mile day portion on the route of the Canadian, but I was told I could not. So I had to book it from one station before, even though I did not entrain there.
 #1097536  by NeoArashi

labaienordique wrote:How about this:

Sudbury to Azilda. 22,50$ for a mere 11 km...

or this...

Sudbury Jct to Capréol. 22,50$ for a modest 22 km...
The latter one is dtill les expencive than a taxi. Here it costs $1,50 per km plus the base fee of $3.50. Imagine. Just getting on costs over three bucks