Railroad Forums 

• What's that old stone pier East of County Route 2A in the river in Pulaski?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1638486  by toddsyr

Just east of County route 2A in Pulaski is what looks like a bridge pier in the middle of the river. Is it that or something else. Either way, it's very old. The NYC/CSX right of way is quite a ways to the west, as is the old Syracuse Northern ROW. I find nothing on old maps or the internet. Could it actually be part of an old dam or something?
Pulaski Bridge Pier.jpg
Pulaski Bridge Pier.jpg (312.27 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
 #1638492  by NHV 669

According to the 1955 view on Historic Aerials, it was in that state back then as well, no sign of a road or remnants of a dam structure there.
 #1638506  by toddsyr

By the looks of it, it was there before airplanes were invented.
I have looked at every map I can find and it shows nothing there. I even looked at some that go back to the late 1800's.

I did pose this question to the Pulaski Historical Association today via email.
If they fill me in I'll post it here.
 #1638764  by toddsyr

It's a possibility. The historical society for Pukaski is looking into it. Should hear back next Tuesday or so.
 #1638794  by Greg

toddsyr wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:17 pm It's a possibility. The historical society for Pukaski is looking into it. Should hear back next Tuesday or so.
Th 1895 (and other years) topo map clearly shows a road bridge slightly west of the island while the 1955 aerial shows just the pier and no bridges over the river at this point. Eventually a bridge was erected just west of the pier sometime after the 1955 photo.

The 1983 topo depicts the under-construction route.
 #1638926  by toddsyr

Thank you for the post Greg.
Sorry I'm just getting to this but I work a lot during the week.
It would be great to see the 1895 and 1955 topos. Do you have the links?
Or is it subscription based?
 #1638929  by toddsyr

Thanks NYDepot. It sure does look like the road was relocated to the west and the pier supported the old roadway. I wonder if the original bridge was one lane. The pier doesn't seem very wide looking at it from the current County route 2A. Satellite imagery shows the scar where the original roadway was south of the river. I had noticed it before but didn't want to guess if it was for a road, railroad or whatever.
 #1638932  by toddsyr

BTW, the 1943 topo shows the road as a dotted line and no new road to the west yet. I wonder if the bridge had become unstable? The 1947 topo shows the old road again. The 1960 topo shows neither road. The new road looks to be under construction in the 1983 topo.
 #1640828  by toddsyr

Thank you for posting the pictures.
It's great to see what was once there.
 #1640829  by toddsyr

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nyoswego/to ... tory1.html

Pulaski

"Importance always attaches to those courageous spirits who leave their homes and threading their way into the wilderness, first erect the standard of civilization. To Benjamin Winch the honor is inscribed of being the first white settler within the boundaries of the present thriving village of Pulaski. He located in 1804, and erected the first tavern on the site now occupied by the Palmer House. It was a log structure, but many a pioneer was cheered alike by his fireside, venison, and whisky. Mr. Winch subsequently sold the tavern to John Hoar, who was probably an itinerant, as nothing is known of him, who in turn disposed of it to J. A. Mathewson, a native of Scituate, Rhode Island, who settled in 1806. A son, Jeremiah A. Mathewson, resides in the village, and is without doubt more familiar with the history of this village and town than any person now living. Five families located in 1805, viz., William Smith, who lived in a rude shanty near the point at the crossing of the railroads; Daniel Stone, who occupied a log house on the site of the present residence of Lucian Jones, which was a partnership affair, one end being the house Jonathan Rhodes; Rufus Fox located on the site now occupied by the Baptist church; and Erastus Kellogg, a blacksmith, whose house stood a few rods north of the Frond block, and was the first frame building erected in the village.

Rufus Fox remained in the village a few years, and then located two miles up the river, at what is called Fox’s bridge. A son, Justus Fox, died in this town at the advanced age of eighty years. A son of Justus Fox, named Hiram, resides near the old homestead. Rufus and Thomas Bishop were also early settlers. John Jones came from Oneida county in 1808, and still survives, at the age of eighty years."

Now we know how the bridges got their name too.