Railroad Forums 

• What is the rail portion of NS' Modal-X intermodal network?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #363521  by johnpbarlow

I've been reading the info on NS' web site re: their door-to-door "truck-like" Modal-X service lanes but I'm confused what the rail portion of the service is. For example, Modal-X offers Memphis to Albany, NY and Boston, MA service but, to my knowledge, no NS intermodal train covers this route. Similarly, there is an Atlanta to Albany lane and, again, no train covers this route.

I'm guessing that Modal-X service lanes to Albany/Boston are via Morrisville, PA intermodal terminal. That is, intermodal train arrives Morrisville from Memphis or Atlanta and trailers are rubbered to Albany or Boston. Anybody know if this is the case?

#363747  by ANDY117

NS 206 brings containers/trailers in from Chicago, and picks up intermodal from Taylor (Scranton, PA) and takes it north to Albany. (Mohawk Yard). THen it goes over to Ayer, MA where it gets unloaded. So you could get a trailer up to either Chicago or Taylor, and then it goes by train to Albany/ Ayer.

#363838  by johnpbarlow

I believe NS206 drops a cut of intermodal at Binghamton for CP to forward to Taylor. The remaining train becomes CP168 headed for Albany and Ayer but AFAIK does not add cars at Binghamton. The reverse occurs at Binghamton when a cut of Taylor originated intermodals is added to the consist of CP169 to become NS205. IOW, there is no intermodal service lane between Taylot and Albany/Ayer.

Here's the Taylor schedule from the NS intermodal website :

Origin: Taylor, PA
Gate Hours: M-F 0700-2359, Sa 0700-1200
Destination Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Chicago 47th, IL
CPRS-205 Cutoff M 1700 Tu 1700 W 1700 Th 1700 F 1700 Sa 1200 -
Available Th 0600 F 0600 Sa 0600 Su 0600 M 0600 Tu 0600 -
Last refreshed 02-18-2007

http://www.nscorp.com/intermodal/applic ... inals.html