Railroad Forums 

• What could be the issue?

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#336920  by gprimr1

I have a small gray radioshack scanner I got from a friend. It works very well picking up the NOAH weather radio, but it's only ever picked up amtrak once. i scan the 160.xxx spectrum while on the NEC and it finds nothing. Or if it does find something, it's so faint you can't hear it. Is this normal? I was in buisness class right next to the engine.
 #336999  by Ken W2KB

gprimr1 wrote:I have a small gray radioshack scanner I got from a friend. It works very well picking up the NOAH weather radio, but it's only ever picked up amtrak once. i scan the 160.* spectrum while on the NEC and it finds nothing. Or if it does find something, it's so faint you can't hear it. Is this normal? I was in buisness class right next to the engine.
Your train's crew would not have a reason to use the radio unless there was some sort of operating problem. Was the train running normally?

#337034  by gprimr1

I thought I would be able to hear them talking to the dispatcher and such. Once in a while I could hear a faint sound, but it required turning the volume up so much that when the static came back on it hurt

#341808  by Rockin' Roller

Are you scanning the actual frequencies or are you using the search mode? If you are using the search mode, I am thinking you might not be on the exact frequency.

#341976  by TAMR213

Are you sure your squelch isn't up too high?

#342258  by Conrail4evr

Being that it's just a handheld scanner, it's not very powerful to begin with. And, on top of that, he's inside a metal car, which will undoubtedly interfere with reception. Heck, a lot of the time, I hear the Amtrak engineer relaying information from the dispatcher via radio to his conductor because the conductor can't hear the dispatcher talking at all while inside the passenger cars, and that's with a radio (a heck of a lot more powerful than a handheld scanner). And, since you're moving, the signal strength is changing constantly since the waves are bouncing off all sorts of nearby objects...the possibilities are really endless. Long story short though, I have a feeling it's because you're inside a metal passenger car. Try holding the scanner right up to the window and see if that makes a difference.

#346593  by Ken W2KB

Conrail4evr wrote:Being that it's just a handheld scanner, it's not very powerful to begin with. And, on top of that, he's inside a metal car, which will undoubtedly interfere with reception. Heck, a lot of the time, I hear the Amtrak engineer relaying information from the dispatcher via radio to his conductor because the conductor can't hear the dispatcher talking at all while inside the passenger cars, and that's with a radio (a heck of a lot more powerful than a handheld scanner). And, since you're moving, the signal strength is changing constantly since the waves are bouncing off all sorts of nearby objects...the possibilities are really endless. Long story short though, I have a feeling it's because you're inside a metal passenger car. Try holding the scanner right up to the window and see if that makes a difference.
Scanners and handheld radios that the conductors use should be about the same in reception.. For that matter, a scanner held near the window might outperform the conductor's radio.

#349277  by gprimr1

It's such a POS.

It has scan and search as functions.

If I do scan, it usually finds one frequency, 450mhz which sounds like a modem.

If I do search, it will find signals but after 2-5 minutes, it will switch and say "UHF Found" and change me to 800mhz which is static, so i have to hit buttons until it resets.

Then if I do scan and find something, it will always revert to 161mhz even if I hit hold.

I hate this dumb thing. It didn't come with a manual either.