Railroad Forums 

• Western Maryland Scenic Railroad funding to be cut

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#101255  by Aa3rt

Washington, DC news radio station WTOP is reporting that the funding for the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad is to be halved in 2006 (from $ 225,000 to $ 112,000) and will be dropped completely in 2007. No word as to why the funding is being cut although the State of Maryland has been experiencing a fiscal crisis in recent years.

Link to the WTOP story:

http://www.wtopnews.com/?sid=427884&nid=25

Western Maryland Scenic Railroad website:

http://www.wmsr.com

#103252  by Steam

I see this move as a carefully orchestrated attempt by the rails-to-trails community to get the right of way exclusively for themselves. Steam trains are considered old, dirty, noisy, polluting nuisances by the folks who are into hiking/biking trails.

They have managed to get the politicians in their pocket on this one.

I would say the WM train is doomed. Ride it this summer if you can.

#375537  by WM Fan (in philly)

I would like to say that the WMSR is not doomed, and will continue to coexist with the rail trail. The trail is now complete from Cumberland to McKeesport. It is a great ride and I highly recommend it. Every-time I do the ride, I make sure that I ride the WMSR, so I am glad that they decided to coexist.

#375556  by RussNelson

Steam wrote:I see this move as a carefully orchestrated attempt by the rails-to-trails community to get the right of way exclusively for themselves. Steam trains are considered old, dirty, noisy, polluting nuisances by the folks who are into hiking/biking trails.
You paint with an overly broad brush, my friend.