Railroad Forums 

• West Springfield, MA "Trash" Trains

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#229665  by woowoo1

I have been seeing more and more 'trash' or construction debris cars on the trains heading west from Springfield, MA. This past week I saw over a hundred cars on one train alone. It was followed by a mixed train carrying even more. Still more were still in the yard! Anyone have information about these trains, like where the stuff comes from? Going to... etc. Or an online location for information? I have looked in the forum's history back about a year and haven't seen anything yet. Thanks Jim

#229679  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i know a trash train comes out of Boston but i can't think of the number, its K5** and i remember reading somewhere about trash on Q420
Last edited by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#229825  by roberttosh

The cars you're talking about carry Construction & Demolition debris. Cars originate at two location in Brockton, MA on CSXT, one at East Providence, RI on the PW, one at Willimantic, CT on the NECR, one at Portland, CT on the PW, one at Hartford, CT on the CSO, one at North Haven, CT on CSXT, one at Milford, CT on CSXT and one between Hartford and Springfield (can't remember the town) on the CSO. The three biggest are Champion at Brockton, Murphy Road Recycling at Hartford and Circle of Life at New Haven. It almost all goes out to landfills in Ohio, with a very small percentage ending up in western NY and MI. The garbage moving in containers from Boston is for Allied/BFI and it goes to one of their landfills at Bishopville, SC. You probably also see some ASR (Auto Shredder Residue) that looks alot like dirt, but is actually the non-metallic leftover material from when a car gets shredded. It moves from Scrap yards at Everett, Providence and a couple other locations to GA and MI landfills.

Hope that helps.

#229891  by woowoo1

Thanks roberttosh, fantastic answer! This seems to be the big business of the moment!