Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#68378  by JayMan

This post is relating to the feasibility of installing a subway line from the SAS to the Amtrak ROW to Co-op City in the vicinity of West Farms Square. I have a question about a particular station location.

Now the West Farms bus depot was built in this area. If subway tracks were to emerge from underground (and after crossing underneath the Bronx River to the west) just before the 177th St overpass would there be enough clearance between the depot, the railroad tracks, and the river for this work? Could a station platform be constructed beneath the 177th St overpass?

This may be difficult to visualize exactly what it is I am proposing -- if anyone would like I can map out my plan. Thanks.

#68579  by njtmnrrbuff

If I could reinvent the past, I would actually run Metro North New Haven Line trains on Amtraks Hellgate Line. Even better, after the East Side access opens, they should do that. I doubt that will happen because it is mainly for the LIRR. Many of those neighborhoods along Amtrak require long subway and bus trips into the city. Co-op City is an excellent candidate. My dad's sister actually lives there but not in section 5. All you have in Co-op are loads of buses connecting to many subways, and frequent express bus service to Midtown. I think the 5 train is not so far away at all but that is in Baychester. Commuter trains would really benefit residents living there.

etc

#68771  by Noel Weaver

Amtrak's Hell Gate Line is Amtrak's period.....
Not to be used for Metro-North or subways or anything else. Penn Station
does not have present capacity for Metro North trains or much more of
anything for that matter.
I suppose it might be possible that there would be room for two subway
tracks but I do not think for subway stations, necessary parking and
whatever else.
If the powers to be decide to sometime serve CO-OP City, the best way
do it would likely be an extension of the no. 6 line into CO-OP City.
Noel Weaver

#68918  by Allan

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:...snip.. Commuter trains would really benefit residents living there.
As a long time Co-Op City resident I can tell you that commuter trains would not solve the problem. Most people would have to transfer to the subway anyway once they got to Manhattan.

Given the choice of a premium fare to save maybe 15-20 minutes and then have to pay another fare to take the subway, I think most will opt to take the local bus to the nearest subway and use the free transfer.

What we need is the 2nd Avenue subway to be built with an extension along the Amtrack ROW to Co-Op City.