Railroad Forums 

• Weird NJ issue #24

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#120584  by Metalrailz

I just picked up the recent issue of Weird NJ yesterday and they have 2-3 pages dedicated to abandoned lines, Ghost trains etc.....

They have a small write up about Winslow Junction, the D&R, a ghost train that appears in South Amboy around halloween( has anyone heard anything about this?) There is also a two page article about the Newark Subway tunnels. Very good issue.

Send in your pictures and stories of strange occurances on or around abandoned ROW's, it just might get published for Octobers issue.

#120640  by BigDell

a ghost train that appears in South Amboy around halloween( has anyone heard anything about this?)
!!!???

Never heard this one! Lots of good one-liners possible.
Any takers?
BigDell

#120691  by sullivan1985

I dont know any thing about ghost trains, but my old ma tells me stories of ghosts of eople who drowned in the meadows haunting the Boonton Line and Kingland Branch in Kearny.
 #121219  by 1st Barnegat

Metalrailz wrote:I just picked up the recent issue of Weird NJ yesterday and they have 2-3 pages dedicated to abandoned lines, Ghost trains etc.....

Send in your pictures and stories of strange occurances ...
Thinking back to the mid-'60s, I thought I saw a PRR MP54 train at Rahway with one of its cars lettered "Tuckerton Railroad." Knowing now that the PRR built its electric-powered MP54's from older, non-electric rolling stock and knowing that the Tuck had been part of the PRR "family," its seems this might just be possible. But it could also be wishfull thinking and a false memory of a (then) young child. Even still, has anyone heard of this, or seen it?
 #121479  by PDT009

I believe it was Wierd NJ that published a story about the famed Hookerman (or Hooker Man?) of Flanders. Interesting story. I believe there was actually an investigation of the phenomenon by some university eggheads. The story of the Hookerman has been told for quite a while. In fact, there was at one time a webpage dedicated to collecting anecdotal information about him/it. I believe a fellow named Benz was mastering that page. I've heard similar stories about 'dead guys' with their hands chopped off on other rail lines. Makes for great camp fireside story telling.
 #121525  by njt4172

PDT009 wrote:I believe it was Wierd NJ that published a story about the famed Hookerman (or Hooker Man?) of Flanders. Interesting story. I believe there was actually an investigation of the phenomenon by some university eggheads. The story of the Hookerman has been told for quite a while. In fact, there was at one time a webpage dedicated to collecting anecdotal information about him/it. I believe a fellow named Benz was mastering that page. I've heard similar stories about 'dead guys' with their hands chopped off on other rail lines. Makes for great camp fireside story telling.
Yes, Mr. Daniel Benz was my old High School computer teacher...He is a bit of railfan himself and I do remember the site he had dedicated to the Hookerman....I'll have to contact him and see if he can put it back up...He had a lot scary experiences back in the late 1970's and I'm pretty sure he believes in the ghost as their were lots of stories posted about it....

Steve

#121972  by CNJGeep

I read the issue and wonder about two things. One is it 424 that is the NJT engine in D&R? And two I saw what appeared to be a JC F3B Fact?