Railroad Forums 

• Wayneport 1967

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1529411  by CPSmith

If I had to guess, I'd say that's off the Lyndon Rd. bridge looking to the east. Wayneport Rd. is a little farther down. You can go on Google maps and replicate that shot today, but the NYC is down to two tracks and the WS down to one. Cool shot, anyway.
 #1529417  by BR&P

Correct, both of you. Train is westbound on Track 1, and looks like the caboose of an eastbound on the Shore, likely crossing out onto Track 2 at CP17 to the east.
 #1529466  by TB Diamond

Appears the icing facility was still active at the time.
 #1529470  by BR&P

Icing platform was operational but at least by summer of '67 they no longer made ice there. It was made in Buffalo and shipped east in company-service reefers.
 #1529719  by NYCRRson

As told to me by my Father their was a brief operating crew strike which caused the "supervisors" to take over running the highest priority trains for a few days. This would have been late 60's, early 70's.

According to the story, the upper levels of the Wayneport icing platforms (walkways and railings) where "wiped out" because the supervisors ran the trains through those tracks too fast and the rocking and rolling caused the higher cars to get "up close and personnel" with the upper levels of the platforms.

If the platforms where still in service when that strike started they were OOS afterwards....

Cheers, Kevin.
 #1529729  by BR&P

I've heard something along those lines, believe it was an RFE out of Buffalo who had the problem. I'll miss the January gathering but will try to remember to ask in February for details.