• Washington DC Union Station 100th Anniversary Celebration

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Kaback9

kp5308 wrote:I'll be riding the Carolinian on Sunday outta 30th St. REALLY looking forward to it :wink:
Do you mean this sunday? Also is that what they are attaching the G on to? I don't know much other than that it will be in DC.
  by AMTK1007

Further Update

The Washington Union Station Centennial is planning to have the
following on display, which will be the largest equipment display ever
put on by Amtrak:

C&O F3 8016
B&O GP9 6604
C&O Gadsby Tavern
C&O Chessie Club
Southern RPO 36
Southern E8 6900
ACL E3 501
PRR GG1 4935
PRR E8 5711
PRR E8 5809
PRR 120
Little Juniata Rapids
Warrior Ridge
Greenwich Harbor
Cannon Ball
FRA DOTX 220
MARC bi-level
Amfleet Cafe
Viewliner Sleeper
Superliner Transition Sleeper
Superliner Diner-Lounge
Superliner Sleeper
Acela
Plus various other displays in and around the station relating to its centennial
  by hi55us

AMTK1007 wrote: Viewliner Sleeper
Thats why they are not utilizing all of the viewliner sleepers! they were saving it for the rail show!
  by jhdeasy

AMTK1007 wrote:Further Update

Southern RPO 36
Southern E8 6900
ACL E3 501
These two locomotives and the heavyweight Raiway Post Office car from the North Carolina Museum of Transportation will move from North Carolina to WAS in a special move on Thursday October 2nd. Heavyweight private car KITCHI GAMMI CLUB will be used as the crew car for this movement. I don't know if the special move will follow the route of The Crescent or the toute of The Carolinian between North Carolina and Washington Union Station.
  by hi55us

jhdeasy wrote:
AMTK1007 wrote:Further Update

Southern RPO 36
Southern E8 6900
ACL E3 501
These two locomotives and the heavyweight Raiway Post Office car from the North Carolina Museum of Transportation will move from North Carolina to WAS in a special move on Thursday October 2nd. Heavyweight private car KITCHI GAMMI CLUB will be used as the crew car for this movement. I don't know if the special move will follow the route of The Crescent or the toute of The Carolinian between North Carolina and Washington Union Station.
It will probably be csx's call weither it follows the toute (lol) of the carolinian.
  by jhdeasy

I think the RPO is/was the late Jim Bistline's car that toured the nation on the US Postal Service train several years ago.
  by AMTK1007

CarterB wrote:What, if any, of the equipment will be allowed for boarding?

All passenger equipment EXCEPT the PRR 120 will be open for inspection

And in my personal opinion, the move from North Carolina will follow the Crescent route due to it being shorter
  by jp1822

Obviously there will be some special private car moves to Washington DC. Does anyone know if there will be any space available for sale to ride aboard any of these private cars from the north to Washington DC? Perhaps I'll make a trip down, but I would imagine all the private rail cars will be heading down prior to Saturday, and I wouldn't be able to do anything after work on Friday in NYC. Or will anything be departing on Sunday late afternoon? Will all displays sort of be on the platforms - no special private runs during the day or evening?
  by realtype

I'm wondering where Amtrak plans to store all this equipment throughout next week. MARC, the AEs, the Cap. Ltd., and the Regionals use ALL of the tracks at on the upper level at WAS. The LD's and the VRE use all the tracks on the lower level. The storage yard north of the platforms is exclusively used by MARC, the Ivy City yard is packed with VRE trains, and the Ivy City maintenance facility is packed with all sorts of VRE and MARC equipment.

A few times a year the freight railroads (usually CSX and NS) will send about 4 or so private cars into WAS to have some sort of reception, with red carpet service and everything. There's also a single Superliner Cafe on trk 16 (the Cap. ltd.) track also used for receptions of some sort. On the eve of the "potomac primary" there were dozens of paramilitary officers walking around it with M4s ready to shoot you if you batted an eye; there prob. was some sort of VIP meeting/reception in the car. In addition the CEO car is permenantly stored on one of the Acela tracks.

Anyways, my point is there's currently no space for any extra equipment, unless they send everything to WAS Friday night. Of course the Amtrak and MARC equip. on display is already there.
  by Kaback9

realtype wrote:I'm wondering where Amtrak plans to store all this equipment throughout next week. MARC, the AEs, the Cap. Ltd., and the Regionals use ALL of the tracks at on the upper level at WAS. The LD's and the VRE use all the tracks on the lower level. The storage yard north of the platforms is exclusively used by MARC, the Ivy City yard is packed with VRE trains, and the Ivy City maintenance facility is packed with all sorts of VRE and MARC equipment.

A few times a year the freight railroads (usually CSX and NS) will send about 4 or so private cars into WAS to have some sort of reception, with red carpet service and everything. There's also a single Superliner Cafe on trk 16 (the Cap. ltd.) track also used for receptions of some sort. On the eve of the "potomac primary" there were dozens of paramilitary officers walking around it with M4s ready to shoot you if you batted an eye; there prob. was some sort of VIP meeting/reception in the car. In addition the CEO car is permenantly stored on one of the Acela tracks.

Anyways, my point is there's currently no space for any extra equipment, unless they send everything to WAS Friday night. Of course the Amtrak and MARC equip. on display is already there.

I have been thinking about how they plan to do this too. Do they store MARC trains in DC over the weekend at platforms like they do during weekdays? I could see them using the MARC tracks then to display the equipment.
  by realtype

Kaback9 wrote:
realtype wrote:I'm wondering where Amtrak plans to store all this equipment throughout next week. MARC, the AEs, the Cap. Ltd., and the Regionals use ALL of the tracks at on the upper level at WAS. The LD's and the VRE use all the tracks on the lower level. The storage yard north of the platforms is exclusively used by MARC, the Ivy City yard is packed with VRE trains, and the Ivy City maintenance facility is packed with all sorts of VRE and MARC equipment.

I have been thinking about how they plan to do this too. Do they store MARC trains in DC over the weekend at platforms like they do during weekdays? I could see them using the MARC tracks then to display the equipment.
The problem isn't the 4th and 5th, since over the weekend the MARC sets are stored at the endpoints in Brunswick, Frederick, Riverside-Baltimore, and Penn station. I'm assuming though that Amtrak will have at least some of the equipment devlivered before the weekend, and that's where I see the problem. More than likely they'll use the MARC tracks, since those are the only high platforms in the station besides the Acela tracks which will prob. be used for the usual weekend AE and Regional service.
  by hi55us

As far as storage before the weekend, Amtrak has 2 large facilities north and south of the station that they could use for storage. I'm thinking of Bear, DE and Lorton, VA. Is their ample space in Lorton to store some of this equipment & then put it on a train going up to WAS?