• Washington DC Union Station 100th Anniversary Celebration

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jersey_Mike

better question: how about the Rohr Turbo Train? It would do no harm, they are just collecting dust in Bear.
That's not true, some are collecting dust at Super Steel in SDY.
  by Kaback9

Jersey_Mike wrote:
better question: how about the Rohr Turbo Train? It would do no harm, they are just collecting dust in Bear.

I thought they were never refurbished? The ones at Bear are fully refurbished and just sit in storage.
  by hi55us

Kaback9 wrote:
Jersey_Mike wrote:

I thought they were never refurbished? The ones at Bear are fully refurbished and just sit in storage.
yea the 3 sets in bear are in refurbished condition from what I hear.
  by Kaback9

I thought they were never refurbished? The ones at Bear are fully refurbished and just sit in storage.[/quote]
yea the 3 sets in bear are in refurbished condition from what I hear.[/quote]

Exactly so it would make sense if they were to bring down a set it would come from Bear not SDY.

Anyway back on topic who is actually going to pay a visit to this event?
  by Otto Vondrak

The only way a Turbo will show up at this event is if you buy one and bring it yourself...

http://www.rapidotrains.com/turbo01.html

-otto-
  by Tadman

Thanks for the heads-up on the special guests. So far, we've got a GG1, the JT E8's, and I'll be sure to call 60 Mass to arrange for plenty of yard goats for Bob to photograph... Nice pics as usual, Bob.
  by alewifebp

Planning on going, not sure if it will be Saturday or Sunday. I wish I knew of some schedule of events, as I would plan accordingly.
  by gp80mac

If I'm still on this job, Saturday the 4th will be my off day - and I may venture down there for that. As for the GG1? I'll have to see that to believe it. But stranger things have happened. Not much info about this thing at all out there. Adds to the surprise I guess.
  by Ken W2KB

Senate Proceedings
Senate - SUBMITTED RESOLUTIONS: SENATE RESOLUTION 664—CELEBRATING THE CENTENNIAL OF UNION STATION IN WASHINGTON, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
17 September 2008
Congressional Record
S8955,S8956
Volume 154, Issue 148
English

110th Congress - Second Session

Mrs. DOLE submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works:

S. Res. 664

Whereas, on February 28, 1903, President Theodore Roosevelt signed into law the act entitled "An Act to provide a union railroad station in the District of Columbia, and for other purposes", and Daniel Burnham, a noted architect from Chicago, Illinois, was chosen to design the building;

Whereas, on October 27, 1907, Union Station officially opened at 6:50 a.m. when the Baltimore and Ohio Pittsburgh Express pulled in to the station;

Whereas the building was ultimately completed in 1908;

Whereas, in 1924, 5,000 cheering fans met the victorious Washington Nationals at Union Station after they defeated the Boston Red Sox to capture the American League pennant;

Whereas, in 1951, President Harry Truman dedicated the Presidential Suite at Union Station as a "home away from home" for members of the Armed Services;

Whereas, in 1968, in preparation for the bicentennial of the United States, the decision was made to transform the building into a National Visitor Center;

Whereas Congress then passed the Union Station Redevelopment Act of 1981 (Public Law 97-125; 95 Stat. 1667) to return Union Station to its original use as a transportation center;

Whereas, in 1983, the Union Station Redevelopment Corporation was created to oversee the development of the station into an operating railroad station, to restore the architectural and historical elements of the structure, to explore collaboration with the private sector in the commercial development of the station, and to withdraw the Federal Government from active management of the station;

Whereas the renovation and restoration of Union Station began on August 13, 1986, with the ringing of an old train bell;

Whereas the restoration of Union Station was the largest public-private restoration project accomplished in the United States;

Whereas the restoration took 2 years and the grand reopening was held on September 29, 1988;

Whereas, in 2008, Union Station includes more than 210,000 square feet of retail space, including 50,000 square feet of restaurant space;

Whereas Union Station is the corporate headquarters for Amtrak and contains 200,000 square feet of Amtrak passenger and baggage facilities;

Whereas 32,000,000 people visit Union Station annually; and

Whereas Union Station is the most visited tourist destination in Washington, District of Columbia: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the Senate—

(1) celebrates the centennial of Union Station in Washington, District of Columbia;

(2) applauds the efforts of the people who worked to preserve this national treasure; and

(3) encourages the people of the United States to continue to visit and learn about Union Station and its storied history.
  by Sean@Temple

No offense to you guys, but I hope GG1 4935 is not in Union Station that weekend. I am taking my friend to the Railroad Museum of PA for the first time that weekend, and I know that is something that he would want to see. If it is, hopefully Old Rivets will be out and about so at least he'll get to see a GG1.

Sean@Temple