• Washington DC Union Station 100th Anniversary Celebration

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by JC1076

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Ok folks, I have a big question. This past Saturday me and the girlfriend went to Strasburg RR and the outlet center. Parked in the yard for the RR Musuem of Pa were the NS F units and I believe a NS private car. Im wondering will the Fs be bringing down the GG1 to DC? If they are already there and Im hearing they will possibly(although I muight be mistaken)be attending this event, then we will see F's pulling a G to DC. Any thoughts or ideas?
As I understand it, the NS F units were at Strasburg for an unrelated event. I was told that the GG1 will be towed to WAS by a pair of Amtrak Geeps.
  by realtype

Spotted "Hollywood Beach" in the Ivy City VRE yard around noon. "Cannon Ball" is still sitting at the end of track 9 (my MARC train this morning pulled up right behind), and has two large flags hanging on the end now. It really looks brand new.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

I read on a yahoo site that a fan caught the GG1 4935 moving through Strasburg today 9/30 **posted by Dan **

here is Dan's picture GG-1 4935

I assume that she is heading to DC
  by Kaback9

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:I read on a yahoo site that a fan caught the GG1 4935 moving through Strasburg today 9/30 **posted by Dan **

Yeah shes heading to DC.
  by realtype

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:I read on a yahoo site that a fan caught the GG1 4935 moving through Strasburg today 9/30 **posted by Dan **

Wow, she is gorgeous. Puts that Keystone AEM-7 (speeding by in another photo in the set) to shame. :-D
  by Tadman

Wow. Loewy + PRR = Genious...

Possibly the best example of industrial design ever seen.
  by Jersey_Mike

GG-1 #4935 is at 30th St Station, Track 11 RIGHT NOW and will be towed to WAS tonight.

Engine 513 south 3 gondolas as idlers, 4935, another gondola and 2 side dump cars as more idlers and diesel 514 on the end.

Speed will be 30 mph to Washington with a wye move at PERRY. I have no idea why the wye move at PERRY.
  by jhdeasy

wok3002 wrote:
jhdeasy wrote:
AMTK1007 wrote:Further Update

Southern RPO 36
Southern E8 6900
ACL E3 501
These two locomotives and the heavyweight Raiway Post Office car from the North Carolina Museum of Transportation will move from North Carolina to WAS in a special move on Thursday October 2nd. Heavyweight private car KITCHI GAMMI CLUB will be used as the crew car for this movement. I don't know if the special move will follow the route of The Crescent or the toute of The Carolinian between North Carolina and Washington Union Station.
Any updates for the routing of these pieces? I have tomorrow off and was wondering if I should hang out here in Fredericksburg or head on over to the NS line. Will this be the first time since the end of Sou. passenger service that a Crescent painted E8 will pass through Alexandria?

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin:

Head over to the NS main line ... the special move (Amtrak train 862) will operate over the route of The Crescent from Spencer NC to Washington DC ... the E3 and E8 locomotives will be dead in tow ... unfortunately for you it will probably be dark by the time it reaches Culpeper or Manassas.

CONSIST:
1 AMTRAK LOCOMOTIVE - E/155
1 SOUTHERN E8 LOCOMOTIVE – POINTED SOUTH 6900 "4" CLEARANCE
1 ACL E3 LOCOMOTIVE - POINTED SOUTH 501 "4" CLEARANCE
1 SOUTHERN RPO - 36 800700 "A" CLEARANCE
1 PVT CAR - PINE TREE STATE 800236 "A" CLEARANCE

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2008
TRAIN 862(2)
DP SPENCER 12:30 PM
AR CHARLOTTESVILLE 6:15 PM CREW CHANGE
DP CHARLOTTESVILLE 6:30 PM
AR WASHINGTON 9:30 PM
NOTE: SSS = SPENCER
  by Ken W2KB

chuchubob wrote:Amtrak 513 on the south end, a couple Amtrak MOW gons, 4935, a couple more gons, and Amtrak 514.
additional photo of 4935
Photos were taken from NJTransit Atlantic City trains 4611 and 4610.

Great pix! Jeanne is enamored of the GG1 under cosmetic restoration at Lebanon, NJ and is looking forward to our Saturday journey to see this pristine version and the etc. at Union Station. So am I. :wink:
  by BadAddetude

Jersey_Mike wrote:GG-1 #4935 is at 30th St Station, Track 11 RIGHT NOW and will be towed to WAS tonight.

Engine 513 south 3 gondolas as idlers, 4935, another gondola and 2 side dump cars as more idlers and diesel 514 on the end.

Speed will be 30 mph to Washington with a wye move at PERRY. I have no idea why the wye move at PERRY.
So 513 and 514 are moving the G? I thought they'd put it on the end of the Juniata Equipment. It's moving tonight, meaning it will all be gone come tomorrow morning? Even Bennett's heavy metal?

EDIT- Pictures turned out horrible! One more reason to go to DC!

Bob, are you commuting on NJT?
  by chuchubob

BadAddetude wrote:
So 513 and 514 are moving the G? I thought they'd put it on the end of the Juniata Equipment. It's moving tonight, meaning it will all be gone come tomorrow morning? Even Bennett's heavy metal?

EDIT- Pictures turned out horrible! One more reason to go to DC!

Bob, are you commuting on NJT?
When I saw the location of 4935 I realized that the best location for photos was from the railroad, so I took NJT train 4611 to Cherry Hill and 4610 back.

The Juniata Terminal trip to WAS is unrelated to the GG1 move. PRR 5809 and 5711 will take MKT 403 and the Juniata Terminal Varnish on Thursday, possibly during afternoon daylight.