Railroad Forums 

• Washboard MU controller repair/cab photos?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1219949  by green_elite_cab

Hi,

I have recently acquired what was apparently a Washboard MU control stand. It is a Westinghouse model of some kind, and it might need some work (the lever doesn't re-center when pulled in reverse).

I can't seem to find a photo of the cab of one of these MUs either, so i'm not sure if it actually did come from such an MU. My goal is to fix it up and make it "workable", maybe enough to run a model train or something on it.

I'm not really located in any New Haven territory, so it is difficult to find people who know what I'm talking about in regards to this controller.
 #1220215  by pbass

A few months ago,I saw a Westinghouse controller in White Plains at Westchester Hobbies that I was interested in purchasing.The owner was not there to discuss the price or where it came from.The washboards & NYWB MU's had the same type of Westinghouse controller.The handle was jammed but I could fix it.My thinking is this is a NYWB controller considering it's age & condition.This controller you need help with-did you get it from White Plains or elsewhere? Very curious.
 #1220326  by Noel Weaver

Both the Washboards and the Westchester cars had elevator style controllers but they were not the same. A quick look can tell the difference. A photo of the controller in question would help. I have a full set of control handles from the Washboards.
Noel Weaver