Railroad Forums 

• VRE 2050 Plan

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1640864  by davinp

This is part of Transforming Rail in Virginia.
Too bad it come sooner. I'll be retired before 2050, and won't need the train.
VRE's ridership is still down from pre-pandemic levels.
Other commuter trains across the country are able to operate all day and on Saturdays.
The CSX line is very congested with CSX, Amtrak and VRE trains which often causes delays
In order to add more service, more tracks will be needed as capacity is limited and of course, a new Long Bridge is being built.
 #1640876  by scratchyX1

davinp wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:15 am This is part of Transforming Rail in Virginia.
Too bad it come sooner. I'll be retired before 2050, and won't need the train.
VRE's ridership is still down from pre-pandemic levels.
Other commuter trains across the country are able to operate all day and on Saturdays.
The CSX line is very congested with CSX, Amtrak and VRE trains which often causes delays
In order to add more service, more tracks will be needed as capacity is limited and of course, a new Long Bridge is being built.
I wonder if it would be cost effective for CSX to buy the to be abandoned NS B line through Strausburg VA, and rebuild it to haul southbound trains to the Buckinham Branch. Just make them avoid DC entirely.

Also, someone needs to coordinate MARC/VRE through running, and rolling stock for it.