Railroad Forums 

• Voorheesville Signal & Track Work

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#432254  by Jack Shufelt

It appears that new highway crossing signals and automatic signals will be installed. Will this project include installing power crossovers or any other significant track work?
 #432515  by Wanderer

Jack Shufelt wrote:It appears that new highway crossing signals and automatic signals will be installed. Will this project include installing power crossovers or any other significant track work?
It will include the installation of a new interlocking plant, yes. Powered crossovers, new Safetran signals, and all the goodies included. Someone had stated that the hand crossovers will stay in place, but I don't know about that. No confirmed word on whether or not they plan on renewing the grade crossing. Lord knows last time I was there it needed it.

#432589  by johnpbarlow

Will the new interlocking plant include the connection to the CP line to Delanson? If not, will the crossovers be east of the CP connection? I'm just curious whether a benefit of the new plant will be to enhance access to the CP.

#432718  by Wanderer

johnpbarlow wrote:Will the new interlocking plant include the connection to the CP line to Delanson? If not, will the crossovers be east of the CP connection? I'm just curious whether a benefit of the new plant will be to enhance access to the CP.
That I don't know, but I doubt it. The CP Voorheesville Running Track is out of service from a couple miles East of Delanson all the way to VO. Based on what I've heard from guys over on CP...there aren't any plans to reverse that fact anytime soon. That being, I can't see why CSX would do anything to the CP connection.

#433419  by rocketman

The interlocking will be WEST of South Main Street which will require number two main to be relaligned. Therefore the D&H connection will still be a seperate electrically locked switch. The project will also include new grade crossing systems.

#433991  by lakeshoredave

Will this cause any traffic to rerouted?

#435956  by johnpbarlow

Dumb question: has CSX ever thought of undoing the unique flyover arrangement at Fullers over rte 20? Putting in dual crossovers just a few miles east at Voorheesville would seem to make the flyover unnecessary (if it ever was with double track CTC). Double tracking the lower bridge and removing the top bridge (or making it a bike trail or a railfan park!) would seem like a good way to reduce real estate tax and bridge maintenance expenses.

#436034  by lakeshoredave

The Fullers Flyover makes tons of sense.

Signed,
The New York Knicks Acquiring Zach Randolph

#436311  by roadster

The new appliances at CP VO are to aid traffic flow on the Branch. With the addition of a new CP at South Schenectady(yes I now it's spelled wrong) to aid in traffic flow to and from that new food plant. Reality check. Why rebuild the crossover at Fullers? It works fine. Why dish out millions more to rebuild this signle track bridge to double track and all the related approaches when what currently exists has worked well for NYC, PC, CR, and now CSX. No new connection to CP at VO. This is simply a CSX project to enhance operations on the branch and Selkirk yard, including the new bypass track to be installed along the southside of Selkirk yard.

#436386  by lakeshoredave

I agree with Roadster's take completely. Selkirk becomes a bottleneck, so you need all of the extra tracks and crossovers you can find. When will the new bypass track around Selkirk be built? It looks like these crossovers in Voorheesville will be done by the winter time, so finally CSX is putting some money into the railroad so they can compete with the NS on their Chicago to East Coast Corridor. NS is taking it to the CSX right now, so its about time the boys from Jacksonville woke up and did something about their railroad.

Lakeshore Dave

#436448  by Conrail4evr

lakeshoredave wrote:I agree with Roadster's take completely. Selkirk becomes a bottleneck, so you need all of the extra tracks and crossovers you can find. When will the new bypass track around Selkirk be built? It looks like these crossovers in Voorheesville will be done by the winter time, so finally CSX is putting some money into the railroad so they can compete with the NS on their Chicago to East Coast Corridor. NS is taking it to the CSX right now, so its about time the boys from Jacksonville woke up and did something about their railroad.

Lakeshore Dave
Not to stray off topic too much, but...

The Chicago Line is a very fast route. If van trains can do 60 the whole way and not have to screw around with long delays in the terminals, I don't think NS would stand a chance speed-wise. As it stands, however, shippers (specifically UPS) haven't been happy with CSX's service and have been going to NS. With the hot stuff like that, hours can make all the difference, and these delays all around CSX aren't helping (although I must say, the Buffalo-Rochester stretch has improved greatly - the only time I hear about slow orders now is when there's MOW working!).

Anyhow, getting back on topic...I think the interlocking at VO is needed, as besides the West end of Selkirk, the next set of crossovers wasn't until about 15 miles later in South Schenectady, if I recall correctly.

#436485  by roadster

Absolutely Nick, Not a whole lota room to mess around if something F'sup. The bypass is being preped even now. The demolision of the 2 story building on the southside of the yard next to that overpass in the middle of the yard has been a sticking point, waiting for aspestus removal. It's sitting on the proposed row of the bypass. It could be gone by now, I haven't been to Selkirk in a couple months. It'll utilze track 11 up to the overpass then follow along side the yard to CP SK. Completely controled by the NC dsp.. Like any project CSX gets into it could take several months. Dewitts ML project was originally slated to begin switching trains in May. It's now got several months more of work to do before that can happen. But atleast it's getting done.

#436534  by Ironman

It's gone.

#439867  by Amtrak700

Noticed yesterday, that new automatic signals were erected at New Scotland Rd Rte 308. These would be the new distant signals for VO westbound, they are the newer CSX style signals. This will eliminate the older distant signal to VO which is approx 1000 feet west of the new one between New Scotland Rd. and Yeomans Rd. Dont know if they will replace the one at Gamefarm Rd. which is the distant signal to FB..we'll see! Get your shots of the old signals as they will be gone soon. Also as a note the sand towers in selkirk are gone.

#440018  by lakeshoredave

CSX has put in new signals from CP-SH all the way west towards Hoffmans. I have also seen new signals out in the Mohawk Valley.