Railroad Forums 

• VMV GP10's

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#73874  by emd_SD_60

Did any of the Paducahbuilt GP10's (rebuilt GP9's and GP7's) have their original 567 prime movers swapped with newer 645's? I do know that their SD24 (SD20) rebuilds for Illinois Central had 645's, was it the same for the GP10's?

#87211  by Typewriters

From the records I have here, which (again) are spotty about rebuilds, the only Paducah products showing up with 645E engines are the SD-11 units. None of the GP units are listed as 645E; they're all either 567BC or 567C.

Hey-- Carbondale, eh? A few years back, my Dad (who is from Murphysboro) wanted to take a trip "back home," and we spent a couple days tracing the route of the GM&O up and around Alto Pass. Got some great shots. Pretty country down there--- and rugged, too!

-Will Davis

#87260  by emd_SD_60

Carbondale had numerous rail lines back then, it's such a shame they tore them out... :( the one ICG main to Murphysboro passed right in front of my grandma's house! The roadbed is still there (no rails or ties), but heavily overgrown. I usually like to usually hike down it. Here's more info at this Yahoo group, which i'm a member at: http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/R ... _Illinois/

It's really packed with info about the old ICG-GM&O lines. :wink:

#178992  by arnstg

I live in the Chicago area and am interested in the activity that is going on in Paducah. Is it worth a trip?