Railroad Forums 

• All things Harrisburg (Keystone) Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#688034  by Suburban Station

If the Paoli Transportation Center ever gets built, that will be an excellent transfer point to points in between Ardmore and Paoli. I've always wondered if Amtrak were to run 20 trains per day, if they couldn't standardize stopping patterns. All trains stop at Harrisburg and Lancaster but all other stops (except maybe Paoli) are alternates....Pittsburgh bound trains ONLY run express, transfers would come from current Keystones at Harrisburg. 10 run to NYP (or Jamaica) and 10 to PHL.
 #688365  by Suburban Station

It's been talked about and anticipated for more than 10 years, and now the time for talk and anticipation is over.

On Monday, ground will be broken for the long-awaited $8.5 million makeover of the aging Lancaster train station.

Lancaster Mayor Rick Gray will take part in turning the first ceremonial shovel of dirt at the 11 a.m. event, which will mark the beginning of the 18-month construction project...Gray said he and his wife are frequent rail travelers, using trains to go to Philadelphia Eagles football games, New York City and Harrisburg if he has a meeting he can schedule to coincide with train times.

"I'll take a train to Harrisburg rather than drive," he said. "When you get done with the mileage, parking and what not, it's actually cheaper to do that."
http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/239304
 #736384  by BuddSilverliner269

Hello everyone.Its been awhile since I have posted any updates about the line. I apoligize. Ive been mad busy..Here is what I have so far and may not be complete
-Zoo's milepost on the Harrisburg Line has changed to mp 2.3(formerly 1.9) because of Septa's recent purchase and transfer of the K Ladder and Mount Vernon section of Zoo.
-Cork Interlocking 1927 model 14 US&S interlocking maching was replaced in October(Thank Jersey Mike for this info as this was never mentioned at Amtrak nor really important to the operation other then who controls what) with more modern controls and Cork interlocking was broken up into 3 seperate interlockings
-Cork mp 68.1, Conestoga mp 67.7 and Holland mp66.1 and all 3 interlockings are controlled by the operator at Cork tower. All 3 interlockings have color position lights except the dwarfs.
-Lititz Interlocking now has a movable point frog
- Wayne station has contininung work on the high level platform that is being installed.
- Rule 562 signalling in effect between State and Cork and will continue east eventually going to Zoo(I dont know when or how long of a project that is)
 #736453  by BuddSilverliner269

j653 wrote:Thanks for the updates, BuddSilverliner269. Very much appreciated.

Will these improvements result in improved trip times, or are they regular maintenance projects?
Both. Since most of the track and catenary work was complete a couple of years back, faster and more frequent train service was established, and as a result, guess what? Ridership has risen. Most of the rail and ties have been replaced with most of the line having concrete ties. The next project is to replace some interlocking with interlockings in better situated locations. Top speed on the line is 110 mph
 #736515  by Suburban Station

j653 wrote:Thanks for the updates, BuddSilverliner269. Very much appreciated.

Will these improvements result in improved trip times, or are they regular maintenance projects?
If I remember correctly, interlocking upgrades were planned as part of the upgrade, and they were to be consolidated into CETC in Philadelphia. Obviously, this didn't happen on schedule but it sounds like it's happening slowly, very slowly. I would think this is necessary work in preparation for any future work (such as the planned third track and potential 125 mph top speeds in the state application). Budd- did this have anything to do with the derailment out there?
 #736680  by jp1822

As the new "electric train service" was re-established for the Keystone trains, the Princeton Junction stop was dropped on most routes. Course, the morning Keystones and evening Keystones that arrive in NYC between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. and then leave NYC between 4:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. would likely get overrun with patronage for Princeton Junction. Despite such, I really wish they had kept Princeton Junction as a station stop. However, but not stopping here, this allows the Keystones to continue at top speed from Trenton, NJ up to Newark - on most trains, thus helping to reduce schedule time. This was the aim of the restoration done on the Keystone Corridor - shorter trip time to Philly and to NYC. This corridor has finally been put on a good foundation for growth!
 #739926  by NotYouMOS

No worries for those of you who are rail fans. The remaining towers in operation, Zoo, Overbrook, Paoli, Thorn, Cork and State, will continue to be there for years to come. With the recent updating of Cork Interlocking to all electric panels they are speculating next October for the closure of Cork. I'll believe it when I see it, the system has some issues out there and the October date is coming from management. The C&S guys are not nearly that hopeful and talking about possibly a year from now. Park and Atglen are being worked on now so they shouldn't be too far from completion. The C&S plans head to State next which will be a major undertaking to say the least with the old rail and equipment still being used there. I've seen the "plans" for the new Paoli Interlocking and the rest of the commuter PH Line but there's been very little work done so far towards that goal and there are rumors now that Septa wants to restart service out to Park once the interlocking there is complete which will require 2 trk all the way from Paoli to be totally revamped in places, a lot of places.
 #740448  by Suburban Station

NotYouMOS wrote:No worries for those of you who are rail fans. The remaining towers in operation, Zoo, Overbrook, Paoli, Thorn, Cork and State, will continue to be there for years to come. With the recent updating of Cork Interlocking to all electric panels they are speculating next October for the closure of Cork. I'll believe it when I see it, the system has some issues out there and the October date is coming from management. The C&S guys are not nearly that hopeful and talking about possibly a year from now. Park and Atglen are being worked on now so they shouldn't be too far from completion. The C&S plans head to State next which will be a major undertaking to say the least with the old rail and equipment still being used there. I've seen the "plans" for the new Paoli Interlocking and the rest of the commuter PH Line but there's been very little work done so far towards that goal and there are rumors now that Septa wants to restart service out to Park once the interlocking there is complete which will require 2 trk all the way from Paoli to be totally revamped in places, a lot of places.
I'd be surprised if anything is decided before the announcement of the HSR grants which would build a third track to atglen
 #740493  by NotYouMOS

Everything is slow where the railroad is concerned, especially with amtrak. The old No. 2 track is in terrible shape between Thorn and the NS Dale Secondary, 10 mph track, needs all new ties and only in fairly good shape, and i do mean fairly, between Caln and Thorn.
 #740935  by jp1822

NotYouMOS wrote:Everything is slow where the railroad is concerned, especially with amtrak. The old No. 2 track is in terrible shape between Thorn and the NS Dale Secondary, 10 mph track, needs all new ties and only in fairly good shape, and i do mean fairly, between Caln and Thorn.
I was on the Keystone corridor this past week and for the ride between Exton/Paoli to Philly, it was smooth riding on Amtrak. Fast and much better than what it had been in prior years from when I had been on this line.
 #754515  by jdk47

I was out at Parksburg station today while I was chasing NS H2J heading west from Coatesville and noticed that it appears that the station is being used as an office and meeting place for Amtrak work forces. I was last out at Parksburg station in the late spring of 2009 and the station was empty inside. The western portion of the parking lot has two Amtrak crew cab Chevrolet pickups parked beyond some yellow caution tape. I guess they are using the station as a staging point for the current upgrades taking place on the Keystone line.

I also took a ride west towards Atglen and noticed that the new crossover appears to be completed at MP 53.0. This new crossover will be well lighted at night there is easily 16 lights mounted on the cat poles. Also its funny seeing the new cat poles next to the legacy PRR cat poles. Does anyone know if this is in use yet and where is it controlled from, Cork, Park, Thorn, or Philly? Will this new crossover eventually replace Park interlocking?
 #755081  by Lackawanna565

Any news about the new signal system?
 #761525  by TREnecNYP

Not sure about the signal system, but i do remember "coming soon, a smoother ride" posters all over trenton & septa trains. as well as in nyp for keystone & pennsylvanian pax.

- A