Railroad Forums 

• Saratoga & North Creek (S&NC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1386522  by AgentSkelly

Otto Vondrak wrote:While we are talking about paint, I thought I would note that so far SNC is the only Iowa Pacific operation to have its own distinct color scheme. The other Iowa Pacific routes all use equipment decorated in an attractive rendition of Illinois Central brown and orange...

-otto-
IP owns the Mt Hood Railroad out here in Oregon and last time I was in Hood River, I think they were still in blue in silver...
 #1386917  by CP4743

The IP owner is an IC fan and that is the corporate colors. But there are other unique schemes for some operations. The SLRG was using a maroon and yellow scheme. A number of locomotives were painted this way and still exist in that paint. Not sure if that scheme is still active or not. From what I have seen, the IC colors tend to be used on equipment lettered for Iowa Pacific.

John
 #1387734  by D.Carleton

AgentSkelly wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:While we are talking about paint, I thought I would note that so far SNC is the only Iowa Pacific operation to have its own distinct color scheme. The other Iowa Pacific routes all use equipment decorated in an attractive rendition of Illinois Central brown and orange...

-otto-
IP owns the Mt Hood Railroad out here in Oregon and last time I was in Hood River, I think they were still in blue in silver...
Texas State Railroad still has their scheme of red with yellow stripes. Mount Hood is maroon and light blue. Santa Cruz and Monterrey Bay is a hodgepodge. The IC colors are generally found on the cars in the Pullman pool.
 #1387820  by Otto Vondrak

Thanks all for pointing out the differences in paint schemes on the various IP properties, shows how much I pay attention :-)

-otto-
 #1388220  by med-train

[quote=Texas State Railroad still has their scheme of red with yellow stripes. Mount Hood is maroon and light blue. Santa Cruz and Monterrey Bay is a hodgepodge. The IC colors are generally found on the cars in the Pullman pool.[/quote]

Texas State owns the equipment, IP only provides operating personnel there.
 #1395202  by griffs20soccer

I started my weekend taking a trip to Milepost Hobbies (A must see place for model railroaders) to get my model railroading fix. Matt Guirdino is the owner and we talked about my favorite Alco, S-1 #5. He told me that S&NC was repairing her getting her ready to use as the yard switcher and protect engine.

Sunday I rode the S&NC and talked to several employees and they confirmed the S-1 was in the shop and was just about finished with the repairs. She will be repainted in her original plant switcher colors. They will be making a decal for the logo and are waiting on Matt to get them a master to work from. I believe we should all commend S&NC for preserving a local piece of railroad history.

Here are some other items of interest. The dining car is 80% complete. The kitchen is almost finished, the dining area is waiting for the fabrication and installation of some panels, and the outside is finished and looks great. The stainless steel outside has the D&H inspired stripping and the trucks are painted silver.

The rail bike group is finishing up the manufacture of the railbikes. They are hoping to be ready in time for the fall leaf peeper season for the northern end. The southern end ride needs a siding built at 1000 Acres Ranch. The bike group need to come up with the money to construct it. The 1000 Acres Ranch would really like to have the bikes running so they can offer the rides to their guests.

The pursuit of freight continues. The main obstacle is CP Rail. They continue to quote uncompetitive rates. Something needs to be done to tear done the paper barrier that is preventing S&NC from getting quotes to railroads that are more friendly to shortline railroads.

It was a good day of riding the train and looking around North Creek. To anyone who hasn't rode the train yet, you need to give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
Don
 #1395209  by traingeek8223

Thanks for the updates Don, and for business plug. Haha
 #1395335  by pumpers

griffs20soccer wrote: ... The main obstacle is CP Rail. They continue to quote uncompetitive rates. Something needs to be done to tear done the paper barrier that is preventing S&NC from getting quotes to railroads that are more friendly to shortline railroads.
Oil traffic from out west to the port of Albany probably factored into why CP held onto that section of the D&H. With oil traffic nationally (and in Canada too I imagine) down a lot, it could be that S&NC has a different negotiating partner one of these days.
JS
 #1395351  by griffs20soccer

We can only hope that the culture at CP will change. If they don't it's time for some of our local politicians to earn their keep and help. We are talking jobs and helping business that want to use the railroad to be more competitive.

I recently was given a paper written by someone in my office that outlines the history of the Tahawus Extension. It's in pdf format, I just don't know how to attach it. If there is interest, if someone can tell me how to attach it I will post it.
Don
 #1395374  by pumpers

Under the window where you type a reply, click on the "Upload attachment" tab. Choose the file, then click on "Add the file". And then click on "Submit" as usual under the typing box. That should do it.
 #1395460  by griffs20soccer

Hopefully this works. I had to split the report in to in order to meet the maximum file size. This report will explain why Curt Austin has so much venom towards S&NC, IPH to be more specific.
Attachments:
This is the 1st part of the report on the Tahawus Extension
(509.35 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
This is the 2nd part of the Tahawus Extension report
(556.68 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
 #1395506  by SemperFidelis

Funny, I just read that CP Rail was aggressively pursuing new carload opportunities to help offset the downturn in other traffic. Having dealt with CP in the past, and never once having recieved a decent quote from them (including carload quotes for garnet from North Creek), I find S&NC's position all too believable and CP's assertions all too laughable.