Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #690299  by pennsy

Not really, George saw the whole thing and reached over and pulled me away from the track. That is when I got ticked and punched the bell. Good laugh afterwards. George felt bad and invited me into his GG-1 for a trip to Philadelphia and back. Had to turn him down, unfortunately, since I had meetings to attend in Manhattan.
 #690324  by The tram man

I would never have been able to turn down that offer.

Allthough i live in sweden i have always wanted to ride in the cab of a GG1. Good looking, great performing engines. Effective horn whitch does not sound so good though from what i have heard. But still...

I think that the "Big G:s" where retired to soon. They where capable of being in service a lot longer. I think...
 #690522  by JimBoylan

To clarify: Some of the time, some of the entire trains to and from the South were hauled by GG-1's over the PRR between Washington Union Station and New York Penn Station without the addition of any local PRR cars or passengers. South of Washington, other railroad's engines were used, and sometimes the other roads added other cars there. The most likely examples would be the highest class, often extra fare trains, like the Champions, some of the Silver trains, and the Crescent Limited. Lesser trains were probably combined with PRR cars, trains, and passengers.
I'm not sure how to tell the difference between a foreign train with PRR cars added North of Washington, a PRR train with foreign cars added, a foreign train that has some PRR cars in it that stay in the train South of Washington, and any of them that also allow PRR local passengers to ride.
 #690568  by pennsy

HI Tram Man; I didn't have much of a choice that day due to prior commitments. However, now that I had become friendly with George, I made a point of seeking him out the next time I visited Sunnyside Yard. And of course did get to ride in the GG-1, check out the interior etc. George was from the new school of RR engineers. He came to work wearing a suit, tie and jacket, and had a hanger in his GG-1 to hang up the jacket and take off or loosen the tie. Interesting fellow. However, today, you cannot take that staircase down to the tracks from the overpass, cannot get to speak to the enginemen in their ready room etc. Since 9/11 everything has changed and the security is really tight. An era lost.

Did you know that a GG-1 has a steam generator to produce steam heat for the cars in the dead of winter ? It is in the back half of the engine, and will produce some heat for the interior of the engine. It boils water to make steam, and burns fuel oil to produce the heat. So a GG-1 also has water tanks and fuel tanks.
 #690623  by pennsy

Yup, I did know that. Seems that the Metroliners had a problem with ice and snow on the catenary in those days, while the GG-1's didn't.

And that brings us to the old question of comfort. Was the GG-1 a comfortable engine to run for its crew ? Well compared to the cabs of steamers a resounding YES. Compared to the diesels that came later, especially the F units, no. And compared to a modern diesels cab, no. Todays diesels actually have a bathroom/ restroom for the crew to use.
 #690662  by pennsy

Inside the short hood.
 #690668  by The tram man

Your kidding! There is a restroom in that little thing!? I just got to see that.
 #690700  by pennsy

And if you want privacy, use the head in the second or third unit.
 #690807  by ex Budd man

The G's also had a hopper in one end of engine, just a seat with a chute down to the tracks. Noisy and cold (or hot) but it was better than the coal pile in the tender! :wink:
 #690932  by pennsy

Okay, Anyone ever hear the Horn of a GG-1 ? One thing I will have to admit; It was LOUD !!
 #690960  by The tram man

Although i said i have heard it I have only heard it on Youtube. But you are so right. It is loud.
 #691017  by pennsy

Once was waiting to see a GG-1 pass by, and just as it was almost near me, the horn went off. Scared the beejeebers out of me and the rest of us. Very loud, piercing, and the sound bounced off the nearby buildings and produced a reverb and echo that went right through us. Made a lasting impression very quickly.