Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #691094  by Nacho66

In 1978 I rode from Philly to Atlanta on the 'Southern Crescent'.
The consist was all Southern and the engine was a GG1.
The GG1 came off in D.C. and the Southern E8's took over from there.
Before, and after, Amtrak this was how all the Florida trains going to NYC were handled.
Also, I seem to remember getting the tickets (Southern Ry.) from the Amtrak ticket booth at 30th St.
 #691173  by Pinewald Station

For anybody interested......Classic Trains Magazines has their summer issue about the 75th anniversary of the GG1.......well worth reading.........
lots of pics
 #691390  by timz

Nacho66 wrote:Before, and after, Amtrak this was how all the Florida trains going to NYC were handled.
Maybe just before Amtrak. In earlier years some trains had cars added/subtracted at Washington, as you'd expect.
 #694512  by ex Budd man

pennsy wrote:Okay, Anyone ever hear the Horn of a GG-1 ? One thing I will have to admit; It was LOUD !!
At one time the Gs had whistles, as can be seen in this photo. I wonder what it sounded like?
 #694792  by pennsy

On close examination of the rooftop photo you have there, I believe it is the rooftop of a P-5A Modified. This was the precursor to the GG-1 and had a similar body to the GG-1. From Pennsy Power I & II, old photos of the original GG-1, old Rivets herself, she had her air horns as she does today. She even had the "stairs" on her nose to allow you to climb to her roof from the front of the engine, deleted in later models.
 #695563  by JimBoylan

pennsy wrote:On close examination of the rooftop photo you have there, I believe it is the rooftop of a P-5A Modified. This was the precursor to the GG-1 and had a similar body to the GG-1.
I think the "modified" locos were converted from boxcab P-5 engines after they were replaced as passenger power by the GG-1s. But this photo still has a stack and safety valves for a steam heat boiler???
 #695585  by pennsy

The P-5A's were used for passenger service, as well as freight and therefore had steam generators on board for steam heat generation for the passenger cars. Gets cold in the wintertime.
 #695591  by atsf sp

If a GG1 died during a run, would a diesel come to pull it out or another electric engine?
 #695628  by pennsy

That would be a rare occurence indeed. Normally the pantograph would catch the catenary the wrong way at a switch or other junction of more than one wire, and the catenary would be torn down. The offending GG-1 would coast free, raise the unmangled catenary and proceed. Should power fail etc. then either a diesel or a steamer would be dispatched to assist.
 #695702  by ExCon90

JimBoylan wrote:
pennsy wrote:On close examination of the rooftop photo you have there, I believe it is the rooftop of a P-5A Modified. This was the precursor to the GG-1 and had a similar body to the GG-1.
I think the "modified" locos were converted from boxcab P-5 engines after they were replaced as passenger power by the GG-1s. But this photo still has a stack and safety valves for a steam heat boiler???
According to the Classic Trains issue on the GG1, the modified P5a's were built new to a modified design as a follow-on order to the original boxcabs. In other words, what was modified was the design for subsequent units rather than any existing unit. At the time the class was still in use in passenger service.
 #695960  by Allen Hazen

re: "On close examination of the rooftop photo you have there, I believe it is the rooftop of a P-5A Modified. This was the precursor to the GG-1 and had a similar body to the GG-1. From Pennsy Power I & II, old photos of the original GG-1, old Rivets herself, she had her air horns as she does today. She even had the "stairs" on her nose to allow you to climb to her roof from the front of the engine, deleted in later models."

No, I think it is a GG-1. The P5a-Modified has a much shorter cab section; comparing pictures of both (at George Elwood's "Fallen Flags" rail picture site) the proportions and what can be seen of the side doors etc look more like the GG-1.
 #695965  by Pennsyjohn

No. That is definitely the top of a GG1. I lived in South Amboy, NJ a hub for engine changes from GG1 to diesel
and there was a pedestrian bridge where you (if you were a child or railfan) could stand and watch the GG1s
go by. It is definitely the top of a G.

Real plain, isn't it. Just functional stuff. The whistle when you were at that level was loud and distinctive.

John
 #699538  by The tram man

Pinewald Station wrote:For anybody interested......Classic Trains Magazines has their summer issue about the 75th anniversary of the GG1.......well worth reading.........
lots of pics
Sure was worth reading. I learnd so much.
 #710147  by enginedave

I used to go to work with my father when I was around 5 or 6. He let me go with the hostlers. They would read the newspaper while I moved the E8's and the G's around S. Amboy engine house.