Railroad Forums 

• GE locos for China - ES59ACi / HXN5

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#543667  by MEC407

A railfan from the Erie area managed to capture an image of a pair of new ES59ACi locomotives destined for China.

Here is the photo (which is quite large -- beware, dialup users):

http://railroadview.com/images/may_16_010.jpg
 #543979  by DutchRailnut

Scot ever thought of upgrading the TS-80 computer and getting other than dialup ???
 #544077  by scottychaos

DutchRailnut wrote:Scot ever thought of upgrading the TS-80 computer and getting other than dialup ???
Ive got a 21" monitor, a 2-gig processor and a T3 line,
speed is not the issue..
but thanks for the suggestion! ;)

(I never did have a TS-80..but my first computer was a 386!..man was it fast..in 1989.. ;)

I disable the automatic-resize feature that IE and other browsers have,
because I work with photos, and I cant have the browser resizing images for me..
so when I opened that photo, I saw this:

as I said, its just annoying and SO unnecessary..
people should know better by now..especially on a website that deals with photography..

Scot
 #544079  by MEC407

I agree, and I hope the guy has one of those "unlimited storage and unlimited traffic" plans for his site, otherwise he'll be getting some hefty overage fees.
 #545527  by uhaul

Quite peculiar looking from the front. It looks like a modern variation of the BQ23-7.
 #545541  by pablo

When the hamsters in my computer get tired I just throw them out and get new ones

PETA be dammed...stupid Ti499A

Dave Becker
 #545553  by Allen Hazen

The actual cab loks rather like the cabs of the high-altitude units (AC38) GE built for the Tibet railway: I assume details were negotiated with the Chinese railway authorities. (Behind the cab, however, they are totally different: the ES59 is a hood unit, the AC38 had a full-width carbody.)
I hope the Erie-area railfans keep their eyes open: weren't the first of GE's new locomotives for Kazakhstan supposed to be ready some time this year?
 #551663  by jgallaway81

I'm guessing: ES59ACi: Evolution Series - 5,900hp - Alternating Current - international?
 #599701  by GEVO

Allen Hazen wrote:I hope the Erie-area railfans keep their eyes open: weren't the first of GE's new locomotives for Kazakhstan supposed to be ready some time this year?
Have to keep an eye out for the new Egypts too.
 #740355  by MEC407

300 more GEs for China:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/sing ... nture.html

(Thanks to Sean Graham-White for the link)
 #741331  by v8interceptor

scottychaos wrote:Its nice to see China actually providing some work for Americans..
thats a switch! :P

Scot
But only a few U.S jobs, apparantly both engines and locomotives will be manufactured in China, not built here and shipped there...