• GE locos for China - ES59ACi / HXN5

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by MEC407

A railfan from the Erie area managed to capture an image of a pair of new ES59ACi locomotives destined for China.

Here is the photo (which is quite large -- beware, dialup users):

http://railroadview.com/images/may_16_010.jpg
  by lucid-one

I like the high-tech plastic drum on the pilot.
  by DutchRailnut

Scot ever thought of upgrading the TS-80 computer and getting other than dialup ???
  by scottychaos

DutchRailnut wrote:Scot ever thought of upgrading the TS-80 computer and getting other than dialup ???
Ive got a 21" monitor, a 2-gig processor and a T3 line,
speed is not the issue..
but thanks for the suggestion! ;)

(I never did have a TS-80..but my first computer was a 386!..man was it fast..in 1989.. ;)

I disable the automatic-resize feature that IE and other browsers have,
because I work with photos, and I cant have the browser resizing images for me..
so when I opened that photo, I saw this:

as I said, its just annoying and SO unnecessary..
people should know better by now..especially on a website that deals with photography..

Scot
  by MEC407

I agree, and I hope the guy has one of those "unlimited storage and unlimited traffic" plans for his site, otherwise he'll be getting some hefty overage fees.
  by uhaul

Quite peculiar looking from the front. It looks like a modern variation of the BQ23-7.
  by pablo

When the hamsters in my computer get tired I just throw them out and get new ones

PETA be dammed...stupid Ti499A

Dave Becker
  by Allen Hazen

The actual cab loks rather like the cabs of the high-altitude units (AC38) GE built for the Tibet railway: I assume details were negotiated with the Chinese railway authorities. (Behind the cab, however, they are totally different: the ES59 is a hood unit, the AC38 had a full-width carbody.)
I hope the Erie-area railfans keep their eyes open: weren't the first of GE's new locomotives for Kazakhstan supposed to be ready some time this year?
  by jgallaway81

I'm guessing: ES59ACi: Evolution Series - 5,900hp - Alternating Current - international?
  by GEVO

Allen Hazen wrote:I hope the Erie-area railfans keep their eyes open: weren't the first of GE's new locomotives for Kazakhstan supposed to be ready some time this year?
Have to keep an eye out for the new Egypts too.
  by MEC407

300 more GEs for China:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/sing ... nture.html

(Thanks to Sean Graham-White for the link)
  by v8interceptor

scottychaos wrote:Its nice to see China actually providing some work for Americans..
thats a switch! :P

Scot
But only a few U.S jobs, apparantly both engines and locomotives will be manufactured in China, not built here and shipped there...