Railroad Forums 

• Maine Central Steam Locomotive #470 Discussion

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#155516  by SP 4449

I'm heading up to Waterville next week. Anyone know how to get to the park where MEC 470 is on display? Thanks.

Josh

#155894  by steveh

Last edited by steveh on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

#155946  by ThinkNarrow

Steve/Josh

I-95 in Maine has recently had its exits renumbered to be mileage-based. The Waterville exit has changed from 34 to 130, as it is 130 miles from the state line at Kittery. The exits still have little black-on-yellow signs attached to the bottom that say, for example, "Formerly Exit 34," but these will be going away at some time.

-John

#156026  by Steam

Note the deplorable condition of the locomotive in the photo. A few more years like that in the harsh winters and with vandals helping, and there won't be anything left worth restoring.

Wouldn't it be great to restore her to operation and use her on the Rockland Branch where there are turning facilities at both ends, and great track in between?

Dream on... This, after all, is New England.

#158103  by NellsChoo

Richard, is that your house in Waterville with the 470 mock-up on the front lawn? We accidently found the REAL 470 and it was sure a sight! The thing is HUGE! I had not yet been near a standard gauge steam locomotive, and was in awe of the size. That thing would be a real gem if painted properly. Even better if in running condition!

#158105  by NellsChoo

We accidently found 470 while on vacation this week. I thought the condition was actually better than expected. Still rather complete. Was a great thing to see!

#158216  by Steam

Unless someone has performed a miracle and transformed the locomotive with a magic wand, since I was last there, then she is little more than a hulk.... as in the photo submitted by the prior poster above.... Not my idea of good condition or anything the community could take pride in presenting to the public.

#158219  by Steam

Nells, if you think the dead hulk of the 470 is huge and awesome, you need to hustle out west where there are some big standard gauge steam locomotive still operating on occasional trips, and take a look at a live one. Now THAT"s awesome and you'll see what big steam was all about. But hurry, cause the day is coming when the NIMBYs, yuppies, greenies, Feds, et al will have their way, and shut them all down for good.

#158250  by NellsChoo

But it is complete! Peeling paint is no big deal. If they want to make it look good cosmetically, I don't think it would take as much work as people think. Not to say it wouldn't be a big job, but everything seems to be there.

#158291  by Steam

Nothing missing?

A few years back, the city (at the urging of some yuppie who spotted asbestos boiler lagging) had the jacket removed (and trashed) and the lagging eliminated. Of course no pattern of the jacket was made, so now we see the naked boiler with all the rivets exposed. Now a whole new jacket will have to painstakingly be created if and when a restoration takes place. All the glass and most of the small appliances have been stripped, broken or stolen.

#158336  by steveh

Last edited by steveh on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

#158337  by b&m 1566

Steam wrote:Nells, if you think the dead hulk of the 470 is huge and awesome, you need to hustle out west where there are some big standard gauge steam locomotive still operating on occasional trips, and take a look at a live one. Now THAT"s awesome and you'll see what big steam was all about. But hurry, cause the day is coming when the NIMBYs, yuppies, greenies, Feds, et al will have their way, and shut them all down for good.
I don't think that will ever happen. If it was it would have already happened.

#158479  by Steam

I rest my case! Those photos of the NKP locomotive in Ohio, compared with the status of the MEC 470, make the point wonderfully. That is the way the 470 should be preserved (if she's not going to be made operational) and protected in the future. Anything less would be a waste of time, energy and funds. A few more years of neglect and she would be better of scrapped.

#159016  by Richard Glueck

Negative on the house. I live in Winterport, about 50 miles north of Waterville. The 470 made it's last run throught the entire state, so she's really an artifact of the state, but placed in the city's hands for preservation (butterfingers). Maine Central's big shops were located there, so it was appropriate.

I notice there have been no responses from the "Friends of 470" in this forum. I take it that they are not getting cooperation or struggling to get the funding Mr. Brown expected. So far I've seen a website and a public celebration that happened on the hottest Saturday in July, with little public after-effect.

She's a beautiful heavy Pacific and what happens in the next few years will determine her ultimate fate. Since the "Friends of 470" aren't giving the appearence of positive movement, perhaps it should be donated to Steamtown. It would at least she some attention from people who recognize her value. Or...the city of Waterville could turn to somebody who is willing to make this a fulltime commitment and get the funding through granting agencies. I spoke to the City Engineer only once, back in November, 2004, when he shut me out, and he hadn't a clue as what to do with the locomotive. At the time he wanted to put it on the track and fire it up. He had not the slightest concept of what the project involves. My guess is he still is overwhelmed by his own ignorance.