Railroad Forums 

• Maine Central Steam Locomotive #470 Discussion

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#126378  by Richard Glueck

I have not heard word one about it, nor do I have anything to do with this event. Without the grant funding I originally wrote of, this "rescue of the 470" is not going anywhere. You don't preserve steam locomotives with hot dog sales and brownie bakes.

#126533  by NellsChoo

Once again, the yuppy faction has taken over a project they should have NOTHING to do with. I think a group of railfans should start getting mean and put some pressure on these people. Then contact papers and news stations. This isn't huge news, but it is human interest. And far more interesting than most garbage they report on...

(Sarcastic? ME??)

JD

#126680  by NRGeep

Yuppies or rednecks, seems the more the merrier ultimatly benefits the locomotive.

#126687  by MEC407

No offense Jonelle, but I don't think a group of railfans would really be that much better suited to helping with this project. I think we've all seen how much bickering, back-stabbing and mud-slinging can go on when you get a group of foamers together to work on a big project. :(

#126774  by NellsChoo

I know... I know... just venting...

But how come the Forum topic regarding the Downeast Scenic makes it sound possible to start rail related projects, but this one, which has been sitting around a while, can't get done?

#126788  by MEC407

Mostly because the Downeast Scenic Railroad project is a partnership between railroaders, developers, historians, industry executives, state and federal authorities, railfans, and others. If it was just railfans or just historians or whatever, it probably wouldn't have any chance of going anywhere.

#126791  by MEC407

I definitely echo your frustration Jonelle, and that of Mr. Glueck, about the situation surrounding the 470. And I think it's awful that the man who did all the leg work in putting this issue on the radar screens of the local government and the general public is the one who is being excluded from the project. But, for what it's worth, stuff like that has happened before and will surely happen again. I hope Mr. Glueck won't take it personally (which is easier said than done, I know).

No matter what happens and no matter who is running the show, I hope that the 470 gets fixed up, at least in such a way as to prevent further deterioration, if nothing else. It's an important piece of history and it deserves better treatment than it has gotten thus far.

#126844  by Richard Glueck

I appreciate the fact that so many people followed my trumpet when I set up a planned preservation strategy for the 470. Yes, I am insulted to be purposely left out of the execution of a plan. I can get over it, and doubtless, I will. In the meantime, I think the 470 will get a cut rate slap of paint and a half-ass "restoration" by politicos rather than historians and experts, and that is the real tragedy. In the future some other concerned person will raise the issue again and the Council will say, "But we poured all that effort and money into the 470 in 2005, and look what happened!" That is the real danger. There are people without expertise, without locomotive knowledge, who want to do good but haven't a clue. I fear a tragedy is at hand or in the works.

#127551  by bwparker1

I think the bottom line is $$$$$$$$, regardless of the value of the project, which I think is quite high, but those at the decision making level in Waterville may not see it that way.

Remember, Waterville has really suffered economically over the past 20 years, and the $$$ that they do have probably have more important places to be spent. Guilford owes the city mega bucks I am sure in back taxes.

The 470 project is extremely worthwhile, but unless some serious private funding comes along, I am afraid progress will be minimal and haphazard at best.

Thank you Richard for you efforts, I hope that things can turn around, as it is a shame to see actual time and effort put into efforts that will be fruitless in the long run, as you identified regarding a slap of paint, etc.

Brooks

#128105  by Richard Glueck

Please also note that I requested no taxpayer dollars for the restoration. Instead, I (along with colleague, Stephen Hussar) went out and found a dozen granting agencies to write proposals to. My hope was to get $250,000 together to have her inspected, cosmetically refurbished, and placed under cover with a chain link fence from below ground level to the roof top. THe interior of the cab and the loco's fixtures would have been illuminated at night, and spotlights under the roof would have kept her in lighting all night.

#137264  by Steam

Did anyone attend the 470 Day event last weekend at Waterville?

If so, what was the outcome? Inquiring minds want to know.

#153335  by Steam

Nobody has replied... does this mean nobody knows anything, or nothing's happening with this restoration project? Does the city-appointed "board" meet? If so, what's going on? I fear this will die as quickly as it sprouted last spring.

#153426  by Richard Glueck

I would like an accounting of the funding and grants applied for, and how that money is to be spent. I was recently surprised to see that my name is still being published as associated with the rescue plans for the 470, although I have had no contact, not so much as an email, from the city of Waterville and the City Engineer, since last November!

Allow me to state publicly, if the City of Waterville would like me to take over the Rescue of the 470, since I am apparently the poster child for the cause, I will do so, applying for legitimate and dedicated grant funding, a complete survey of the locomotive by a skilled professional, cosmetic restoration, and a shelter. I will only do so with a completely new committee and city leason. I will not work with any of those appointed without my knowledge and consent. There will be no parties or brownie bakes. This will be done professionally and competantly, with expedition.

And you can tell them I said so.