Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #47265  by jimmiegag

Can anyone tell me the color and width of the stripes on the pilot area of the late 1940's B&O diesels? I believe that the pilot areas on the F units and E units as well as EA units had them. I am not sure if it was gray, Royal Blue, or black.

Thanks for any help.

Jim Gagliardi

#48194  by hutton_switch

On the actual locomotives, I don't know exactly what the dimensions of the stripe width and spacing were. But the color was a dark blue, the same as Bando blue. I dealt with this problem when trying to provide extra detail when modeling one of the HO-scale Stewart FTs from that era, and was able to find a couple of color photos of FTs in this scheme. For the stripes, I was able to locate a Microscale decal set at a hobby shop. The sheet had stripes of varying widths, and I was able to use one that matched properly what I had seen in photos.

Other manufacturers of models in this scheme usually come with the pilots already painted and striped accordingly. LifeLike usually does a good job on this.