Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
  by jimmiegag

Can anyone tell me the color and width of the stripes on the pilot area of the late 1940's B&O diesels? I believe that the pilot areas on the F units and E units as well as EA units had them. I am not sure if it was gray, Royal Blue, or black.

Thanks for any help.

Jim Gagliardi

by hutton_switch

On the actual locomotives, I don't know exactly what the dimensions of the stripe width and spacing were. But the color was a dark blue, the same as Bando blue. I dealt with this problem when trying to provide extra detail when modeling one of the HO-scale Stewart FTs from that era, and was able to find a couple of color photos of FTs in this scheme. For the stripes, I was able to locate a Microscale decal set at a hobby shop. The sheet had stripes of varying widths, and I was able to use one that matched properly what I had seen in photos.

Other manufacturers of models in this scheme usually come with the pilots already painted and striped accordingly. LifeLike usually does a good job on this.