Railroad Forums 

• Delivery and revenue service status of Silverliner V cars

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1166591  by Matthew Mitchell

The passenger counters and surveillance cameras use wi-fi to communicate, which is why your laptop might see a private network on Silverliner Vs. They then transmit the data wirelessly to base stations in the yards.

The same systems are also in place on the El and on trolleys.
 #1166625  by Silverliner II

beanbag wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:
jslader wrote:
beanbag wrote:I thought Metro North was looking at different bidders for the M-9 contract?
Hey, you think Rotem is in the running?!
Neither they nor the LIRR has sent out requests for bids yet. I don't even think it's in the plans for a year or two yet. Though folks on those forums would know better; it's been a month since I've been over there.

And... tongue-in-cheek comment here:
Yeah there's an M-9 thread bouncing around in there already with some contract procurement stuff in it, the thread is actually a few months old, I just bumped it so you can see, Im probably going to get my behind chewed out by Dutch for the post I used, Silverliner you'll owe me one if that happens=p but whatever. By the way Silverliner, must say, you commute on trains, you run them.. Don't ya ever get tired of trains? =p
LOL Thanks! I'll run over there fast before anybody notices....

And well... I do have times when I burn out for a while. Then I take a week or two off to ride buses :-)
 #1171888  by 25Hz

Silverliner II wrote:
jslader wrote:
beanbag wrote:I thought Metro North was looking at different bidders for the M-9 contract?
Neither they nor the LIRR has sent out requests for bids yet. I don't even think it's in the plans for a year or two yet. Though folks on those forums would know better; it's been a month since I've been over there.

I see you found my Picard ROTEM meme. :)

I'm out on the RRD today, and yea, one of the crew "these cars are just terrible". Guess which equipment they were referring to... ;)
 #1171953  by scotty269

25Hz wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:
jslader wrote:

I see you found my Picard ROTEM meme. :)

I'm out on the RRD today, and yea, one of the crew "these cars are just terrible". Guess which equipment they were referring to... ;)
Neoplan Articulated Buses on the rail shuttle????
 #1172158  by 25Hz

jslader wrote:
25Hz wrote:I'm out on the RRD today, and yea, one of the crew "these cars are just terrible". Guess which equipment they were referring to... ;)
Why don't they like them?
For all the reasons we passengers dont plus some. I'm still trying to figure out why they had to do quarter point doors on a system designed around end doors.
 #1182631  by Silverliner II

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
25Hz wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why they had to do quarter point doors on a system designed around end doors.
BECAUSE FRA WON'T LET YOU DO VESTIBULES IN AN MU ANYMORE!
And yet still permit them in cab control cars, as evidenced by the Rotem cars currently rolling out for the MBTA. The difference being that the engineer's side, while having a door, has no steps and traps. So there is still hope for "conventional" MU's, at the expense of one low-platform boarding position. That being said, I would not count on that happening for Silverliner VI, whenever that comes about...
 #1183274  by glennk419

Silverliner II wrote:
Matthew Mitchell wrote:
25Hz wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why they had to do quarter point doors on a system designed around end doors.
And yet still permit them in cab control cars, as evidenced by the Rotem cars currently rolling out for the MBTA. The difference being that the engineer's side, while having a door, has no steps and traps. So there is still hope for "conventional" MU's, at the expense of one low-platform boarding position. That being said, I would not count on that happening for Silverliner VI, whenever that comes about...
The NJT Comet IV's and V's, along with the multilevels, don't even have a door in the engineer position anymore, but they do have either center or quarter doors which alleviates the loss of one boarding position.
 #1183284  by Silverliner II

glennk419 wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:
Matthew Mitchell wrote:
The NJT Comet IV's and V's, along with the multilevels, don't even have a door in the engineer position anymore, but they do have either center or quarter doors which alleviates the loss of one boarding position.
Nor do the Comet V's and multilevels have traps/steps on the fireman side of the cab, while the new Rotems and the Comet IV's do.
 #1184661  by South Jersey Budd

The FRA does permit vestibules in the head end of push pull and MU equipment. The new crash safety standards and new corner and center post provisions do not allow a break in the side frame for the low level steps. If you look at the pictures of some of the new stuff on other properties you will see the low level steps are at the non operating cab end. The NJT bi-levels ( and others ) have a vestibule and a door for high level platforms only. The high level door does not interrupt the side frame and meets the FRA crash/ strength requirements. The comet v cab cars are the same as the bi-levels with no low level steps at the operating cab end.
 #1184781  by Silverliner II

South Jersey Budd wrote:The FRA does permit vestibules in the head end of push pull and MU equipment. The new crash safety standards and new corner and center post provisions do not allow a break in the side frame for the low level steps. If you look at the pictures of some of the new stuff on other properties you will see the low level steps are at the non operating cab end. The NJT bi-levels ( and others ) have a vestibule and a door for high level platforms only. The high level door does not interrupt the side frame and meets the FRA crash/ strength requirements. The comet v cab cars are the same as the bi-levels with no low level steps at the operating cab end.
Head-end View wrote:Does the FRA permit a vestibule door on the engineer's side? I don't believe those cars you mentioned have them. (NJT Comet V and Bi-levels)
The new push pull cars currently being produced by Rotem for the MBTA with regards to cab cars: at the operating cab end, there is a door on the engineer's side, but no trap or steps. The conductor's (fireman's) side has a trap and steps with door for low platform access (thus, a break in the side frame).