Railroad Forums 

• Glassboro-Camden Line (Light Rail)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1223220  by Patrick Boylan

As far as I know it's ink on paper, electrons on computers and wind from politicians' mouths, so it can be all 3 possibilities that you mention and several others one might imagine, such as expanded bus service on existing highways.
 #1223288  by bleet

http://glassborocamdenline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It appears it is essentially an extension of the River Line using DMU technology.

They are in the process of creating a Draft Environmental Assessment.

But a long, long way from reality.
 #1226790  by radioboy

But Jon Corzine said work would be starting in 2011!
 #1228134  by radioboy

interlocking wrote:It was likely cut, along with the new Hudson River tunnels, by Christie.
That was sarcasm. I don't think anyone in this community took Corzine's promise of getting the line started to Woodbury any more seriously than his proclamation that work would start on MOM to Red Bank. They were last minute photo ops from a doomed incumbent.

Christie and ARC has already been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere on this forum.
 #1228447  by interlocking

radioboy wrote:
interlocking wrote:It was likely cut, along with the new Hudson River tunnels, by Christie.
That was sarcasm. I don't think anyone in this community took Corzine's promise of getting the line started to Woodbury any more seriously than his proclamation that work would start on MOM to Red Bank. They were last minute photo ops from a doomed incumbent.

Christie and ARC has already been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere on this forum.
Mine wasn't sarcasm, I thought the line to Glassboro was cancelled. There were no updates, until this week.
 #1228540  by Patrick Boylan

Whether sarcasm or not, cancelled or just no updates that you've seen, what evidence do you have that Christie made the decision?
 #1228547  by FRN9

Has anyone discussed the possibility of a more ambitious plan to make the plan an expansion of PATCO with the trains terminating directly in Philadelphia?
 #1228551  by chuchubob

FRN9 wrote:Has anyone discussed the possibility of a more ambitious plan to make the plan an expansion of PATCO with the trains terminating directly in Philadelphia?
Yes, PATCO was planning to do just that in 1970, but politics got in the way.
At the present time, expect nothing more than additional studies, since no entity (DRPA nor NJ Transit) wants to build the line and neither wants to operate it.
 #1228691  by interlocking

Patrick Boylan wrote:Whether sarcasm or not, cancelled or just no updates that you've seen, what evidence do you have that Christie made the decision?
Made a decision to what? Cancel or proceed with the project? To date, I have not seen the governor promote the line or provide funding. If NJ Transit has $0 for the line, DRPA has $0 for the line, and the state of NJ having $0 for the line, it sure appears that it is cancelled.
 #1228782  by Patrick Boylan

Whatever decision you were talking about when you said
Passively not promoting, or not providing NEW funding if nobody's asked him to, is not the same as actively saying "somebody's asked one of the agencies I control to do this, I've told them not to".

Yes it sure seems like nothing's happening with this project, and maybe it's cancelled, but you said the likely decision maker was Christie, you then said it wasn't sarcasm. So what evidence do you have to show that Christie was the one who decided anything about this project? For all I know the decision makers could have been several pay grades below Christie, but if you know something else I'm interested in hearing what it is.
 #1228950  by interlocking

Patrick Boylan wrote:Whatever decision you were talking about when you said
Passively not promoting, or not providing NEW funding if nobody's asked him to, is not the same as actively saying "somebody's asked one of the agencies I control to do this, I've told them not to".

Yes it sure seems like nothing's happening with this project, and maybe it's cancelled, but you said the likely decision maker was Christie, you then said it wasn't sarcasm. So what evidence do you have to show that Christie was the one who decided anything about this project? For all I know the decision makers could have been several pay grades below Christie, but if you know something else I'm interested in hearing what it is.
Whether it has been (or hasn't been) cut, the signs point to little interest in Trenton to build the line. For once, it would be nice to read in the paper that politicians want the line and have money dedicated to build the line. My frustration is with the years of inaction (or with all the studies with no result).
 #1229862  by radioboy

The thing about the studies is that they're easy to do, they give a job to someone's nephew's engineering consulting firm, and they make it look like you're doing something to the public who doesn't follow this closely.
 #1230103  by Patrick Boylan

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... _foes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Delaware River Port Authority is overseeing the ongoing environmental studies, but DRPA officials have said the agency will not pay for or run the rail line. NJ Transit has not committed to paying for it or operating it.

The show-and-tell session at Pitman High School drew more than 100 area residents to talk to officials from STV Inc., the engineering firm conducting an $8.1 million environmental survey to determine what effects the line might have and how to deal with them.