Railroad Forums 

• Glassboro-Camden Line (Light Rail)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1597798  by Dcell

Any updates on the current status of this project. Has it lost whatever priority it had following the election defeat of its biggest supporter, Senator Sweeney?
 #1597806  by WashingtonPark

Dcell wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:27 pm Any updates on the current status of this project. Has it lost whatever priority it had following the election defeat of its biggest supporter, Senator Sweeney?
This is standard operating procedure. You don't hear anything for a year or two and then the DRPA says they're finishing up the studies and should be able to get it up and running in about 5 years. I figure the next update should be the fall of '23.
 #1613266  by lensovet

The fact sheet from 2010 had the following timeline:

- final EIS Spring 2012
- design and permits 2012-2015
- construction 2014-2017
- start of operation 2016 (should probably be 2018)

Not sure how operation starts before construction is over, perhaps that's a typo and should have been 2018? if so, that's 6 years between final EIS and start of service.

The fact sheet in 2013 pushed back the timeline by 2 years, shortened construction by a year, and corrected the service start date, resulting in an expected start of service in 2019.

The EIS preparation took a lot longer. Draft EIS wasn't published until fall 2020 (putting us now over 8 years behind the original timeline), final EIS was published in Feb 2021 (9 years behind schedule). Note that the EIS process is mandatory for a project like this so…

If we take the original 2010 timeline (correcting the start of service) and move it forward accordingly, we get:

- design and permits 2021-2024
- construction 2023-2026
- start of service 2027

Looks like design and permits is behind schedule by a year. I'm not sure what the past 20 years have to do with how fast they can design and build this, but a) I'm not clear where the money for this is going to come from (SJTA can fund the design work but I don't know where they are going to get the money to actually build), and b) their original timeline of 6 years from awarding of initial design contracts to the line being operational hasn't really changed.
 #1613301  by WashingtonPark

Your point is well taken concerning the 2016-2018 typo. NJT claims they have their share of the money already put away as per a meeting I attended with Senator Norcross in 2019. I was previously on the Gloucester City Committee and much of the preliminary design work had already been laid out and approved as early as 2010. The PED is a matter of pulling together what's already out there which needs another 3 years and 56 million dollars. DRPA's final statement on this is they expect it to be up and running by 2028, which I think is overly optimistic seeing they don't expect the PED to be done before the beginning of 2026. They're still looking for the roughly 1 billion dollars they'll need from the Feds which hasn't been approved or promised. I worked for the DRPA for over 20 years. They're great at throwing around millions for paperwork. Not so great at actually getting anything constructive done.